Jackets Tourmaster Mariner Jackets & Pants

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Just ordered a set of these in grey/hi-viz thru Ebay.ca (EBay.ca was cheaper than Amazon.ca even from the same retailer!)

1685028966254.png1685028988553.png

The Tourmaster brand is made & sold direct by Helmet House, but they don't ship to Canada. There seem to be no dealers in Canada that I could find selling this brand anymore except leftover old model stock. I'm unsure why. There are very few dealers around me that stock any clothing, and the few that do have limited sizes and tend to deal with the higher priced items or complete crap. I think profit has something to do with it, but so may logistics. I refuse to pay over $1000 for a jacket, and not just because I can't afford it. Here's a sample from Fortnine of the higher end of prices.... Yes there are lower priced options, but some of them look ugly or flimsy.

1685027461250.png

It was hard to find any reviews, videos or decent 360* views of the Tourmaster Mariner line when purchased. I see Tourmaster has since put out a couple of new videos this last week.

Prices were US$209.99 for the pants and US$289.99 for the jacket. Pants had US$11.69 shipping. Jacket was free shipping. Both came in the same box. You do the math on that one. ;)

Adding in the currency exchange the US$511.67 worked out to CDN$710.54. Duties and taxes unknown and TBA.

They arrived at my door after 19 days, crossing the border in the process. It took over a week from payment to any movement, but I'm guessing the retailer doesn't have stock and had them shipped from Helmet House direct to them, then onto me. No duties into Canada. That's a win. Taxes cost me an extra $76. Meh, I'd had to have paid the same tax rate if I bought in Canada.

So all in I paid CDN$786.54 for matching jacket and pants. Still cheaper than anything I could have bought around here or online in Canada (that I had some idea what I was getting.)

Quality seems decent for both.

This will be my 3rd Tourmaster jacket and I've not had any complaints about the other 2 I've had. Supposed to be waterproof, and has 2 small low chest zipper vents and 2 large shoulder vents that peel back and snap open. I'll wait to see how the large vents work. Back exhaust vent is a passive always open flap. Shoulder and elbow armor seems decent and I see they've upgraded the back armor from the penis shaped pad to something more standard. Back armor doesn't seem to be CE rated. I'll search out upgrades for that. The other padding is CE rated. Jacket has a couple of large cargo pockets in the front and a Velcro sealed large pouch in the back. Perhaps a good place to pack the included removable thermal liner when not in use? Neck is lined with some soft fabric that feels comfy. The neck snaps shut with an auto adjusting snap. This seems nicer than the Velcro the other jackets had that seemed to pick at the fabric on my Shoei helment chin wind guard. Jacket runs true to size with the fitment chart. WIsh it had a bit more high viz like the model jacket it's replacing. Somehow that old jacket shrunk during Covid. I blame lack of use.... likely more lack of use of my muscles vs lack of use on the bike ;)

This is my 1st set of Tourmaster pants, replacing a pair of Joe Rocket's I've had for a decade. The Mariner pants though seem to run small. I ordered based on Tourmaster's fitment charts and they are fine except in the waist where they are too small. This is likely due to them being high waisted, so if you are looking at buying the pants go at least 1 size up. I'm undecided if I'll return them or try to sell locally. I'll take a hit either way with the exchange, shipping and duties if I send them back for a refund. Unfortunately the size I'd need in the grey/hi viz is out of stock from the manufacturer. I can get them in just black, but really wanted something matching (jacket, pants and my grey '03)

So, if you're in the market for a waterproof-ish jacket and/or pants that won't break the bank, you might want to check these out.

Feel free to reach out with any questions and I'll see what I can do to answer them!

Obo.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Just ordered a set of these in grey/hi-viz thru Ebay.ca (EBay.ca was cheaper than Amazon.ca even from the same retailer!)
I see this a lot with Amazon+ebay retailers. Best Buy and a couple ofther Box vendore have done this also. I assume ebay works out a deal with these vendors to get traffic and sales.

The jacket and pants are nice looking kit. I've got a couple of Tourmaster jackets and I've always liked there stuff – never any problems.

Reactions: Obo

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Time for some carrots for snacks and some sit ups lol

Nice looking gear

All I have worn for years is Tourmaster jackets and pants. Have 3 sets in different weights to cover, winter, spring/fall and summer. Even my gloves are Tourmasters lol.

They may not be the best, but they are certainly good value for the money and have served me well. They are good enough for me. I've always said I'm a good enough kinda guy. Yea, I wear HJC helmets too lol. Good enough!

Good night that Klim stuff is expensive

Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
I owned 2 Tourmaster Transition jackets and 1 set of Overpants. It was good gear that served me well. The velcro cuffs stopped working after a couple of years but other than that no complaints. A liberal dousing of CampDry a couple times a year kept it waterproof...ish. Decided I wanted a 1 piece so tried an Aerostich R3 and I like it, a lot. Glad I bought it when I did because now the price is 50% higher than what I paid. Recently bought a new/used Aerostich Darien on eBay for $300. and it is by far the most comfortable jacket yet. All that said I'm still a fan of Tourmaster and think it's great gear at a fair price.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've (reluctantly*) ordered some stuff from Amazon when eBay was cheaper. The reason for me is Amazon's usually free return policy. Despite size charts I've had trouble with clothes fitting me, and I want that free return 'insurance policy'. Ebay often offers a free return...if you pay the postage. Not so w/ Amazon.

*I dislike supporting Amazon and often buy eBay even if its a little more expensive.

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A

Nice looking gear

All I have worn for years is Tourmaster jackets and pants. Have 3 sets in different weights to cover, winter, spring/fall and summer. Even my gloves are Tourmasters lol.

They may not be the best, but they are certainly good value for the money and have served me well. They are good enough for me. I've always said I'm a good enough kinda guy. Yea, I wear HJC helmets too lol. Good enough!

Good night that Klim stuff is expensive
I've had 2 sets of Tourmaster boots. Served me well as well. No gloves though! Helmet is a Shoei. I did stay at a Holiday Inn though!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Better than candy bars, but I'd go with celery over carrots. I also choose candy bars over "protein bars".

I see Tourmaster has since put out a couple of new videos this last week.
Ok that video really shows off the jacket making it a great deal for an Ancient Mariner such as myself. If I didn't already have a Tour Master all season jacket I might have consider this for non summer months. It's got a lot more storage than my All Season and maybe more ventilation. For summer there's my Tour Master Mesh jacket.

The Mariner also has Belstaff-type lines – an elegant jacket for a more civilized age.

1685028966254.png1685028988553.png

The Tourmaster brand is made & sold direct by Helmet House, but they don't ship to Canada. There seem to be no dealers in Canada that I could find selling this brand anymore except leftover old model stock. I'm unsure why. There are very few dealers around me that stock any clothing, and the few that do have limited sizes and tend to deal with the higher priced items or complete crap. I think profit has something to do with it, but so may logistics. I refuse to pay over $1000 for a jacket, and not just because I can't afford it. Here's a sample from Fortnine of the higher end of prices.... Yes there are lower priced options, but some of them look ugly or flimsy.

1685027461250.png

It was hard to find any reviews, videos or decent 360* views of the Tourmaster Mariner line when purchased. I see Tourmaster has since put out a couple of new videos this last week.

Prices were US$209.99 for the pants and US$289.99 for the jacket. Pants had US$11.69 shipping. Jacket was free shipping. Both came in the same box. You do the math on that one. ;)

Adding in the currency exchange the US$511.67 worked out to CDN$710.54. Duties and taxes unknown and TBA.

They arrived at my door after 19 days, crossing the border in the process. It took over a week from payment to any movement, but I'm guessing the retailer doesn't have stock and had them shipped from Helmet House direct to them, then onto me. No duties into Canada. That's a win. Taxes cost me an extra $76. Meh, I'd had to have paid the same tax rate if I bought in Canada.

So all in I paid CDN$786.54 for matching jacket and pants. Still cheaper than anything I could have bought around here or online in Canada (that I had some idea what I was getting.)

Quality seems decent for both.

This will be my 3rd Tourmaster jacket and I've not had any complaints about the other 2 I've had. Supposed to be waterproof, and has 2 small low chest zipper vents and 2 large shoulder vents that peel back and snap open. I'll wait to see how the large vents work. Back exhaust vent is a passive always open flap. Shoulder and elbow armor seems decent and I see they've upgraded the back armor from the penis shaped pad to something more standard. Back armor doesn't seem to be CE rated. I'll search out upgrades for that. The other padding is CE rated. Jacket has a couple of large cargo pockets in the front and a Velcro sealed large pouch in the back. Perhaps a good place to pack the included removable thermal liner when not in use? Neck is lined with some soft fabric that feels comfy. The neck snaps shut with an auto adjusting snap. This seems nicer than the Velcro the other jackets had that seemed to pick at the fabric on my Shoei helment chin wind guard. Jacket runs true to size with the fitment chart. WIsh it had a bit more high viz like the model jacket it's replacing. Somehow that old jacket shrunk during Covid. I blame lack of use.... likely more lack of use of my muscles vs lack of use on the bike ;)

This is my 1st set of Tourmaster pants, replacing a pair of Joe Rocket's I've had for a decade. The Mariner pants though seem to run small. I ordered based on Tourmaster's fitment charts and they are fine except in the waist where they are too small. This is likely due to them being high waisted, so if you are looking at buying the pants go at least 1 size up. I'm undecided if I'll return them or try to sell locally. I'll take a hit either way with the exchange, shipping and duties if I send them back for a refund. Unfortunately the size I'd need in the grey/hi viz is out of stock from the manufacturer. I can get them in just black, but really wanted something matching (jacket, pants and my grey '03)

So, if you're in the market for a waterproof-ish jacket and/or pants that won't break the bank, you might want to check these out.

Feel free to reach out with any questions and I'll see what I can do to answer them!

Obo.
Hey Obo,
How's the new Mariner jacket working out for you? I appreciate you providing some feedback. There is almost nothing that I can find on this product or the Tourmaster Highlander line. Do you have any critical comments (i.e. good/bad, heat, airflow, quality) and/or did you have a chance to the try out the Mariners waterproof claim? I wish I had something waterproof when I rode through the Maritimes this past June....got soaked even when wearing a Tourmaster rainsuit.
Cheers from Ontario

Last edited:
OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Been wearing the jacket daily. Had a few really wet instances at WoodSToc and the jacket stayed dry on the inside, even with the cuff "vents" and chest vents open. I did close the larger air ram vents by the shoulders. Windscreen is often all the way up on STella when it's raining hard, except for the WoodSToc monsoon where you had to put it down and just let your visor do it's job - or it was impossible to see! I'd say yes, they are indeed waterproof (at least while still new.)

Airflow is not too bad with the vents open when moving. Temps here have been high 30's max. Thermal liner has been used a few mornings the last 2 weeks when we dropped into single digit temps. (42-48F)

I'll likely add some larger pull tabs for the zippers to make it easier to open/close the vents while riding with gloves on. It's a bit hard to either open and snap or unsnap the chest air rams, but they do move a lot of air when open.

Can't speak to the pants as I'm still looking for a tailor. (Didn't ship them back.) I ordered everything slightly larger and like I mentioned jacket is large and pants are too tight in the waist to wear pants underneath and still be comfy. So far I've been told they won't touch altering the pants as they are "safety equipment" so the search continues....

I will echo some of the others comments that build quality seems less than the older jackets I have. Only time will tell how it lasts.

Been wearing the jacket daily. Had a few really wet instances at WoodSToc and the jacket stayed dry on the inside, even with the cuff "vents" and chest vents open. I did close the larger air ram vents by the shoulders. Windscreen is often all the way up on STella when it's raining hard, except for the WoodSToc monsoon where you had to put it down and just let your visor do it's job - or it was impossible to see! I'd say yes, they are indeed waterproof (at least while still new.)

Airflow is not too bad with the vents open when moving. Temps here have been high 30's max. Thermal liner has been used a few mornings the last 2 weeks when we dropped into single digit temps. (42-48F)

I'll likely add some larger pull tabs for the zippers to make it easier to open/close the vents while riding with gloves on. It's a bit hard to either open and snap or unsnap the chest air rams, but they do move a lot of air when open.

Can't speak to the pants as I'm still looking for a tailor. (Didn't ship them back.) I ordered everything slightly larger and like I mentioned jacket is large and pants are too tight in the waist to wear pants underneath and still be comfy. So far I've been told they won't touch altering the pants as they are "safety equipment" so the search continues....

I will echo some of the others comments that build quality seems less than the older jackets I have. Only time will tell how it lasts.
The pants are on sale again for USD $120 but only in sand and grey.

I am a Northern California commuter, and I just ordered this to be my winter jacket. My other Tourmaster jacket is great, just figuring the high vis and water proofing. I am hoping it is up to the task of California winter (occasionally I will ride in the low-30's with light rain.) Hoping it fits with enough room for the tech-air 5 underneath.

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I've had mine down to 7C/44F so far with the liner in and just a sort sleeve polo underneath and was fine for my 30 minute commute.

I've had mine down to 7C/44F so far with the liner in and just a sort sleeve polo underneath and was fine for my 30 minute commute.
Thank you! Now I just need to find a place that has my fat guy size in stock for the pants. I will update my thoughts on the jacket as I have them. There isn’t much else on the web regarding reviews.

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Update, good this morning at 3C/37F for the same commute. STella's screen was all the way up to help deflect the wind too. Your tolerances to cold may very.

So the pants just arrived today, the jacket is still a week out. Trying on the pants, I wear a 44 in the Icon motorcycle jeans. The 4XL's buttoned up just right. I was able to adjust the knee pads to the right spot.I am in the middle of a weight loss program to get back to my police academy weight (or close to it). I like that the pants have a functional belt that will help me take them in. I can tell right now that with the liner, they are still probably going to be too warm to wear for Northern California fall.

I ordered a 3XL Mariner jacket. My current 4XL Tourmaster Asphalt jacket is too big. I am hoping that my Airbag vest will still fit fine underneath.

So my jacket arrived and the 3XL jacket fits right on the money with the airbag vest underneath. Definitely a winter jacket for my climate. I'm going to take the liner out and open up the vents to see how it is tomorrow (high of 83F). I think it will excel at below 70F. The pants seem definitely too warm for tomorrow's weather. May give them a shot on Sat. If my weight loss stays on track, I will need to be shopping for a new summer jacket in a few months.

So I have been wearing the full gettup (Pants and Jacket) for a few months almost 5 days a week in the Sacramento region of California. I have had it to the low 30's to the mid 80's. I commute over 100 miles round trip daily, with 80% on my ST, the rest on my Goldwing. I start and go home different times during the week. Here is my full review.

The Good:
  • Price - The first thing that drew me to this jacket. I was looking for something that was waterproof, had some hi-vis accents, and had level 2 armor included. I got the gray hi-vis for $250. I got the pants for under $150.
  • Venting (Jacket) - With the liner removed and all the vents opened up, I was comfortable into the mid-80s. I got plenty of air up the arm vents, air passed through the big chest vents, and the rubber zipper things moved a lot of air.
  • Build Quality - I saw some negative reviews about a lot of people getting lemons with this jacket. I have been satisfied with mine. My zippers all work well, all the stitching seems done right. I was a little leery of the weird rubber zippers for the stomach vents, but they seem to be holding up fine.
  • Waterproof (Jacket) - I have rode in steady rain for over an hour on the freeway. I kept my windshield down yesterday both ways on my commute. For science. The exterior of the jacket was soaking wet front and back. My upper body was completely dry underneath. At work I hung my jacket up and it was completely dried out for my ride home after 8 hours. I rode home in harder rain, and again my upper body was completely dry.
  • Warmth - With the liners in the jacket and pants, I found mostly no issues keeping warm down into the 30's. I wear just a t-shirt, Tech Air 5 airbag vest, socks and underwar under the jacket and pants. I wear a fleece neck gaiter to protect my neck from chil. I did a long early morning commute to a remote work location where temps were in the 30's for 2.5 hours. The last 20 minutes I was getting a little chilly, and was thinking thermals might have been a good idea, however I lived.
  • Fit and Comfort- I am a full figured male. With a 40 inch (lost 20 pounds since buying the pants) waist in Levi's and a 30 inch inseam, the pants fit well. They were on the snug side 20 pounds ago, now they are on the loose side. The jacket is nice and long and zips into the pants. It fits my neck just perfectly. Comfortable in the waist and chest with the airbag vest underneath. All of the pads are in the right spots on the knees, elbows, hips, and shoulders. Tourmaster is pretty good to us big guys. The only negative is the arms are just a hair too short, but my gauntlet gloves still fit over the ends of the sleeves. Your arm length may vary.
  • The look - It's a decent looking jacket in my opinion. The gray/black/hi-vis pattern is sharp and proportioned well. The reflective bits have stayed reflective and I am visible day and night. The pants I have are all black. They look fine.
The Bad:

• Venting (Pants) - In warmer weather with the liner removed, and the vents all opened up, the discomfort starts at about 75 degrees for me. The is not a lot of airflow, and a motorcycle jean becomes the more comfortable attire. Definitely more of a cooler weather pant.
  • Waterproof (Pants) - In the rain, I have a slow trickle that gets my underwear a little wet. Not soaked by any means, but the liner definitely is absorbing some of the water that's getting through, which is getting through to me. I don't like having a damp spot in my underpants after wearing them. I will try giving the pants a spray down with a waterproofing spray to see if that helps.
Final Verdict:

The outfit is what I hoped it would be. Perfect for 4-5 months of the year in my area. I would recommend to anyone with a similar climate to mine in the winter or mild summers. The jacket outperforms the pants. I wish the pants were a little breathable, but I got them for winter time, and other than a little water leak, the have been great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom