Tow Bar

Bike
CBR1100XX
No, I don't want the towbar that came with my ST1300!
Classic Industries Australia - TH43.
But there are two brackets under the seat I can't get at.
See the flat bracket on top of the tubular rear frame?
The front bolt is also throught the pillion grab rail.
But the rear bolts are under the topbox.
How do I get the genuine Honda top box off?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
How do I get the genuine Honda top box off?
There are probably some plastic caps covering bolts on the top box rack. Are you talking about just getting the box off? I haven't had one since my '03 so can't remember if it's similar to the Givi top box which is to turn the key all the way to the right and push the red button.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I am not sure removing the top box plate will give you the access you want for the rear hitch anchor bolt.

But if you need to take off the Honda top box bracket it is as follows;

1. remove the top box.

2. On the plastic plate there are 6 plastic cover caps remove these with a small screwdriver, they are just snapped in.

3. carefully remove the 6 allen head screws and the top plastic plate will come off. Make note of the washer orientation and bolt arrangement as they will have to be returned to the same position. Note. the each bolt is on an oblong slot with a rubber cushion this allows the upper plate and box to have some side to side flex motion, make sure this is the same when you reinstall the upper plate. This lateral movement is by design!!

4. Under the plate there are 4 allen head bolts. The back two are easy to get at with a socket below and allen wrench above. make sure you place a rag over you rear painted section you don't want a chip. Again there is a spacer collar and washers that must go back in the same order. Watch the collar that may drop out .

5. The front two bolts will take some care. first place a rag under the rack over the back storage section, if you drop a nut here you want to keep it from falling into the void under the rear pcm. It would be very hard to get it out in the event of dropping it.

6. A small socket or offset wrench will help you hold the nut while you remove the allen bolt. Make sure the spacer and washer goes back in the same order. When you remove the nut there is a collar do not let it drop down into the void.

7. Re-install in the reverse order.

Top Bottom