towing camper trailer

Has anyone towed a camper trailer with an ST1300 and how did it perform. I have been told the ST is not the best bike to tow a camper trailer and need some experiences to make an assessment on whether to try it or not.

Bike
ST1300
I do not pull a camper but i do pull a trailer and haul my drz 400 to where we ride.I have no problems at all just be smart when pulling.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I pulled a Bunkhouse over 7,000 miles with my ST and had no problems with it. I will say that quick stops are not possible with a Bunkhouse behind a Gold Wing, so they aren't possible with the ST either.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Drop Dale Coyner (ezwryder) a PM. He has tons of experience pulling a pretty wide variety of trailers behind his '05.

--Mark

Pulled a "Time Out Camper" for over 10k miles last year with no problem.

Few things to remember.
1. Brake early. With the extra weight it takes a little more braking time.

2. Watch the super tight leans. I have a standard ball hitch and it can still lean but it can't drag the pegs. ( no idea how it works with the uni-go hitch)

3. If it has a heavy tongue weight you will need to adjust your shock pre-load. the extra weight can pull your tail and drag on your rear tire. I did this mistake the first time I pulled it with my GF on the back and ground away the rear tire.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
FWIW, it does say in the owner's manual not pull a trailer. However you know many people do and do so safely. Good luck to you.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I've pulled my home-built one-wheeled trailer a couple thousand miles now and have noted a few things.

Suspension setup (mostly preload) makes a BIG difference, tongue weight is a factor (especially with a one-wheeled trailer) so pay attention to your loading.

Adjust speed and braking for load and conditions. I use more rear brake with the trailer attached (ST1100 without linked/ABS brakes).

No problems with lean angle for me. The hitch I built keeps the trailer in the same vertical line as the bike. The pegs will drag before the trailer box drags.

Bike
2004 ST 1300
I have pulled a Kompact Kamp for more than 5,000 miles and you never know it's there when your moving. Stopping and starting are a different story, it's hard to stop quickly so give plenty of room. Make wide turns when your entering a parking lot (curbs can knock you over quick), and scan the lot for an easy to get out of parking spot. I know it has already been said but watch your tounge weight. Too much forward weight in the trailer will make turning harder and wear out your rear tire.

OP
OP
Thanks fellows, thats great information. Based on these comments I will buy a new tow hitch and test it out. Thanks again.

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
AND... (I have no experience with pulling a trailer with my bike, but I do pull LOTS of different sized trailers with my pickup)... If you try to stop too suddenly, the trailer WILL try to run over you! :22yikes:
:cool:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Even if the trailer has brakes there are times when it will try to pass you. I used to drive a small semi tractor/trailer rig and had an empty "pup" trailer trailer try to pass me while making a quick stop on a wet road. Bit of a pucker factor there!

It can take some trial and error to get the brake controller (for electric brakes) set, depending on load.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Never towed a camper trailer but I do tow a bushtec. I have about 5000 miles towing this combo and It works great.

You got to watch yourself on stopping distance and sharp corners. It is very easy to forget it is back there!!

Gary

Top Bottom