TPMS self install?

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I just bought the Doran TPMS and installed it on the rubber stems to check the system and make sure everything works ok. Now that that is verified I need to install the new 90deg steel stems and sensors internal to the tire. Since I am not planning on new tires until Spring I am thinking about pulling the rubber stem and installing it myself inside. Having no experience in motorcycle tire mounting (some in car tire mounting) I wonder?

Can I break the bead and clamp or tie down the tire to get my hands in to install the 90deg stem and the sensor? Front and back?

Is there a recommended pressure to POP the tire back on to the rim?

I assume I will need at least a balance to compensate for the 90deg stem and sensor over the old rubber only stem?

Any other good thoughts?

Thanks
Scott

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
You can deflate the tires and use two C-Clamps to break the bead and hold it back to get to the stems but it would be WAY EASIER if the tire was removed from the rim... Balance shouldn't be much of an issue since the angled stems aren't that much heavier than the rubber stems...

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
If you can't wait until you need new tires, you could install them and add a weight on the opposite side of the wheel... sensor weighs .68 oz, guess at the stem, minus the old one, so perhaps 1 oz. total. You won't notice a minor imbalance if there is one.

OP
OP
OhioScott
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the info. I not only don't want to wait to install the sensors but I am really wanting the 90Deg stems in as well. I am very tired of trying to fill the tire on the road when needed on the rubber stems. It will just make things easier.

thanks again :06biker:

Bike
99 ST
STOC #
Scott PM me there is a bike shop on Indianola Ave. that I have used that is inexpensive and did good work for me replacing the fork seals and changing a front tire (service guy rides a Honda). Another place would be Iron Pony that spent many hours cutting out a rear wheel bearing but only charged me the quoted time (service managers brother in law has an ST). would recommend both. If anyone else is riding through Ohio check out the clearance area of Iron Pony in Westerville, Ohio AKA Columbus. The portion of the store is large example: $30 full face helmets, touring jackets way under $100, boots, gloves etc. . . Don't know if all of this stuff is on their website.

OP
OP
OhioScott
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I have used Iron Pony in the past $25 for off bike tire change labor.

I may change tires afterall now. I have good edge tread but just noticed I am on the wear bars in the middle. I have the tires in the garage and I think I will just replace them.

My PM when I get home about the other location.

Thanks

OP
OP
OhioScott
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Ok last post for a while.

Agreed anyone passing through Columbus, OH should make time to hit Iron Pony. Selection is huge and expanding. Also it is easy off the highway close to I270 & Rt.3 in NE Columbus.

:)

OP
OP
OhioScott
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
A couple pictures of the temporary mount I made up for my TPMS receiving unit. I will have a small piece of stainless steel cut and exact holes drilled with a nut welded on the back for the unit later this winter with another project. But this got the basic shape configuration and the position worked out. I like the small footprint on the bike without complicated brackets and RAM mounts.

Attachments

OP
OP
OhioScott
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
search TPMS there are a few threads on this subject. There are very elaborate versions with pressure differential and temp as well as just current tire pressure.

Bike
2007 ST1300
A couple pictures of the temporary mount I made up for my TPMS receiving unit. I will have a small piece of stainless steel cut and exact holes drilled with a nut welded on the back for the unit later this winter with another project. But this got the basic shape configuration and the position worked out. I like the small footprint on the bike without complicated brackets and RAM mounts.
Great Idea,
I'm going to do the same and save a little on the RAM mount for something else.

Greg C.

Top Bottom