Track attack

View attachment 270664

My buddy Dennis and I built this trackbike from an insurance write-off. Here I am mid-corner at the super grippy Calabogie Motorsports Park. Yours truly will no longer fit in those pre-Covid leathers :wine2:
This is my 2005 CBR 600rr Grand Bend in the SOAR series. Never got to Bogie. Did get to Barber Motorsports which was superb.SOAR Round 6.jpg

Looking good guys.

My vanity photo is me mid turn 3 at Blackhawk Farms Raceway, Beloit Wisconsin. I think I've raced or instructed on 12 tracks around the USA.

I've been asked to get back to race track instructing this summer and may see if I can still pack into my leathers from 20 years ago. I guess I could go try them now but somethings keeping me from the test. Must just be too busy...right?

Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota

Looking good guys.

My vanity photo is me mid turn 3 at Blackhawk Farms Raceway, Beloit Wisconsin. I think I've raced or instructed on 12 tracks around the USA.

I've been asked to get back to race track instructing this summer and may see if I can still pack into my leathers from 20 years ago. I guess I could go try them now but somethings keeping me from the test. Must just be too busy...right?

Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota
Great pic mudduc. The closest I'll get to a track for me will be as a spectator or someone's pit crew : )

The ST isn't flickable, but it does corner well. It's a bike that is attractive to technical riders imho.
Agreed. However, you can quicken up the steering a bit by raising the rear suspension.

I weigh more than the guy I bought my '01 from, and doing that completely changed the handling.

It used to resist leaning in response to counter-steering pressure, but it now lays over and comes back up effortlessly.

Agreed. However, you can quicken up the steering a bit by raising the rear suspension.

I weigh more than the guy I bought my '01 from, and doing that completely changed the handling.

It used to resist leaning in response to counter-steering pressure, but it now lays over and comes back up effortlessly.

I have the preload up in back. I need to raise the forks in the triple trees a few mm. As it is now, the handling is neutral but heavy. It's never going to be not heavy and I don't want it to oversteer in my e efforts to make it better. It's a process and I'm in no hurry.

I agree with you, generally, the bike lacks sufficient forward weight bias. That's why people who find the front end to be vague often are discovered to have a soft rear suspension or they like to sit upright and use risers. A little forward lean cures a lot of issues on this steed.

A little time on a dirt bike teaches a lot about body position because the bike weighs only a little more than you do.

20210313_152434.jpg

The ST13 was porky but the low COG meant it did handle well for a girl her size ;)

my new to me K1200GT also handles well but has a nicer motor ... sport touring for ever!

Back
Top Bottom