Trade in value - 2005 ST

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Was looking at a new Vstrom 1050 so for a semi-serious lark I asked my local Honda/Kawi/Suzu/KTM... dealer what they'd give me for my 2005 ST with 70,000 kms, Hondaline topbox, Goldwing tip over bars and PR4s with 2400 kms.
Pretty disappointed at their $2300 value. Pretty confident that they'd put it on the lot at $4500 which is a lot of margin on a trade that needs nothing.

Bike
R1200rt
Was looking at a new Vstrom 1050 so for a semi-serious lark I asked my local Honda/Kawi/Suzu/KTM... dealer what they'd give me for my 2005 ST with 70,000 kms, Hondaline topbox, Goldwing tip over bars and PR4s with 2400 kms.
Pretty disappointed at their $2300 value. Pretty confident that they'd put it on the lot at $4500 which is a lot of margin on a trade that needs nothing.
How do they know it need nothing? Sometimes problems are very intermittant Like infamous 26 knock sensor code. That bike might not sell till next year, prime sales are in spring. There is a 07 st 50k for sale near me, been for sale for a month. It's down to $3500. Another is an 06 27k w/abs for $4400. You might have a better chance to sell privately in spring.

Bike
R1200rt
Pretty typical, they are in the business of sales and to make money on each transaction ;) Haven't met too many people trading in an 18 year old vehicle and then considered the dealer offer as fair (to the owner)
I haven't met many people willing to pay top dollar for an 18 yr old vehicle.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I'm confident that you could sell your 2005 ST for at least $4,000, maybe even more. That's based on the average value of similar bikes on the market. And if your bike has ABS, that's a big plus, because it adds to the resale value.

Sure, the dealer might be able to get $2,000 more for it, but selling it online is the best way to get the most money. There are plenty of people looking for reliable bikes like yours, and you'll have a wider audience if you sell it online.

So don't give up! Just be patient and take your time, and you'll eventually find a buyer who's willing to pay a fair price for your bike.

STOC #
Looking at vstroms too. Sounds about right. Dealers here will sell if for more than that, but of course not give you any more. They are no different from car dealers.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
@CDNolddude I think my challenges are the same as yours; with a gravel driveway I find it really difficult to move my ST from its parking spot, execute a three-point turn to be ready to pull out of the driveway.
Not interested in a hard surface driveway because we get a lot of rain in the winter and need to keep the water on our property to avoid flooding our neighbours. I am considering making a pad from concrete patio blocks.

STOC #
@CDNolddude I think my challenges are the same as yours; with a gravel driveway I find it really difficult to move my ST from its parking spot, execute a three-point turn to be ready to pull out of the driveway.
Not interested in a hard surface driveway because we get a lot of rain in the winter and need to keep the water on our property to avoid flooding our neighbours. I am considering making a pad from concrete patio blocks.
Got room for one of those smaller motorcycle Dollie’s that you can turn bike around on a dime kinda?

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Got room for one of those smaller motorcycle Dollie’s that you can turn bike around on a dime kinda?
Maybe? When I first got the ST I made a turntable from a 1000 lb capacity lazy susan and it worked OK but I was trying to turn the bike with the turntable on a concrete block sunk into the driveway. I still have it and I might pull it out and see if I can make it work again in the context of a concrete pad.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 R1250RT
If it makes you feel any better I got $3500 for a 2007 ST w/ 14xxx miles. Just did not want to deal with selling it.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Sell it privately for more,or trade it in at dealer and pay less in the sales tax.Nobody private sale wants a bike without a safety inspection.You can bet it will NEED,NUDGE NUDGE,WINK WINK BEFOR3 it passes safety.There goes a big chunk of change.Not to mention the tyre kickers and test pilots,crash test dummies.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Half price has been my experience on what vehicle dealerships will offer as a trade in, unless it’s on a relatively new with low mileage vehicle. Happens everywhere on everything. Do you think they lose money on Black Friday deals?

Greg

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
Around here in the land of beige and corruption, the ST is a red headed step child.
I sold my ’04 in 2013 with 85,000 miles on it for $3,200. It did take a while to sell.
At the time, it seems no one wanted a sport touring style bike, at least here in Harley
land.

Top Bottom