Trailer Hitch Help

I have an '06 ST1300 and I am thinking about buying a tow-behind trailer. Any ideas on where I might buy a hitch? Any pointers on pulling a trailer? Thanks..

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
While I have not pulled with the ST yet I have pulled somewhere around 8000 miles with a 1100 shadow. If you are pulling a 2 wheel trailer be careful you don't hit something with the trailer. Remember it is wider than the bike. It will wiggle the bike a bit at slow speed in turns, mostly if there are bumps. Like going in our out of driveways.

It will take a bit longer/more work to stop the bike with a trailer. As the weight goes up so does the stopping distance. Pulling will work your rear tire harder, it will wear faster.

As for a hitch, I plan to put a unigo hitch on my 1300 over the winter. Here is their link.

If you can use LED lights on the trailer, it will draw much less from the bike.

http://www.schoolhousemcacc.com/index.php/cPath/2_9?osCsid=af4c3b3583d71d00e3d0f2b21d3ea3a3

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Decide up front your functional requirements for the trailer. Then find or build a trailer that meets your requirements. Then get a hitch. Some trailers use classic 1.5" (or whatever it is) ball hitches, others are essentially proprietary, like the Bushtec. The best commonly available cargo trailers are the Bushtecs, but they may not meet your needs.

When pulling a trailer, be aware of your increased length. Few things will spoil your day as much as putting your trailer into somebody's front fender when merging in heavy traffic. In all likelihood, things will rapidly (very rapidly) deteriorate from there. The trailer will also "off track" a wee bit, which combined with its wider track means you gotta be careful when cornering not to allow the trailer to cut the corner and get into some sort of "situation."

When loading the trailer, pay attention to the load distribution, you want your tongue weight to be appropriate. Some of the squirreliness you see is due to improper tongue weighting. Also, make sure you do hook up the lighting harness. If you don't, you'll be replacing your connectors. DAMHIKT.

Parking with the trailer. Park so you can pull forward. Whether this means pulling through into a parking space, or backing into one, you always want to be able to pull forward if possible. Absolutely worst case scenario is when you have to back it uphill. The ST is already a porker, stick 100-350lbs of trailer behind it and its very difficult to back uphill. Thems is the times when you ask yourself "why didn't I get a Goldwing?"

Having a trailer is incredibly convenient. You can ride someplace two-up in the spring or fall when its cool, and have all your riding gear stowed as quick as you toss it into the trailer. Jacket, boots, pants, helmet, a trailer swallows it easily without fuss.

Top Bottom