Trailer In A Bag?? Anybody have one?

haysenglehart

3 Speed
STOC #
These are being sold at J+P Cycles and online. Anyone have one? Yea, Nea?
If you have one, how well does it work with the ST? Pros/Cons?
Thanks

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Hays, I had one. Clever design, well-made, actually fits in a bag. I sold it, however, because there was no way I could figure out how to load and unload at ST on the thing by myself. There's no floor to put your feet on and the axles didn't line up with where I needed my feet to be. You could add extra load panels or use milk crates or whatver, but that quickly defeats the "in a bag" concept that made it appealing to me in the first place.

It'll carry an ST, no problem. If I knew I'd always have two buddies to help me load and unload, I'd have kept it and probably used it a couple times a year to take my bike on family vacations.

I think if I was going to get another trailer, I'd pay the extra money for a Razor which loads at ground level and cranks up for transport. I saw one of these and it was very slick. Doesn't store in a bag, however. Depends what you're looking for.

OP
OP
haysenglehart

haysenglehart

3 Speed
STOC #
Thanks for the input. I saw the loading could be an issue, as you mentioned. They now include an adjustable side stand for your kickstand to lean on, but the loading is still the issue. Riding up on a 3" wide rail, stopping, and not having anyplace to put your feet is impossible.

My problem is that I have no storage for a "real" trailer like the Razor or a Kendon Stand up or whatever. Another buddy says he uses a "trailer" that only grabs the front tire and attaches to the hitch. The rear tire stays on the pavement and rolls in neutral. Ever heard or seen that?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Another buddy says he uses a "trailer" that only grabs the front tire and attaches to the hitch. The rear tire stays on the pavement and rolls in neutral. Ever heard or seen that?
Heard of it, but I'm not sure I'd want to haul a 700+ lb bike any distance on it.

If you're not going to use a trailer often, consider renting UHaul's motorcycle trailer. STeveST1300 had a great experience with one. You could rent one of those many times over for the cost of a trailer that you don't have room to store.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Another buddy says he uses a "trailer" that only grabs the front tire and attaches to the hitch. The rear tire stays on the pavement and rolls in neutral. Ever heard or seen that?
I think this is what you're talking about: http://www.oldinc.com/rhmcbscan.htm

Other than some rear tire wear, there shouldn't be any problem using something like this (unless you're pulling it with a Honda Fit!:eek:)

OP
OP
haysenglehart

haysenglehart

3 Speed
STOC #
So I check out the website for the manufacturer of the "motorcycle caddy", the trailer hitch mount one that just grabs the front tire.
He has HUGE warnings re: MAX capacity is 650 lbs, Disconnect the chain on chain drives for long distances, and towing SHAFT drives is NOT recommended. Ok, scratch this one off the list.

The last time I needed a trailer I rented one from U-Haul. Very cheap ($15 bucks for the day), easy to store, (their lot, not my garage), but picking it up and taking it back is a pain. It's 15 miles to the store, and if I have to just take the bike in for service, the opposite way of the u-haul store....

Top Bottom