Trailer Tires

Bike
2010 ST1300
We all know some brands of tires are reputed to be better than others for car tires. How about trailer tires?

I have a Tractor Supply utility trailer, capacity around 1500 lbs, w/ ST175/80 13 tires by Carrier Star (brand) that need to be replaced. Any recommendations on brands or where I should look for a decent brand tire? I don't use the trailer much at all, but I do use it to carry my VStrom on occasion or garden tractor. I'd expect the tires to die of age before I wear them out from miles used.

Does covering the tires when the tractor is stored outdoors lengthen their life? I have a friend who religiously covers his after he arrives at a campground.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Carlisle and Maxxis come to mind as having a good reputation.
BTW, I keep the tires on my wife's RV covered when it is parked and they are showing no signs of cracking or aging after several years.
So there may be something to that.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Rather than buy just tires, you can get new wheel and tire assemblies cheaper than buying a tire and having it mounted. Here we can get Carlisle tires on rims. That was what was on my trailer when I got it, no problems at all, keep them inflated to 40-50 psi (as the sidewall says). For what you're doing with your trailer, you don't need a super duty tire.
I don't cover my trailer tires if I park in the shade, but the sun is more intense in some parts of the country.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah, I think the HF tires go pretty fast. You got to keep a close eye on them!

DSC01503.JPG

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
There was recall on HF trailers about 10-yrs ago due to sub-standard tyres. Current ones should be OK.

Speed & load rating is combined standard. Can't look at one without other. For example:

LOAD___________________SPEED
B
=590-785 lbs @ 60psi
C=990-1050 lbs@80psi L=75mph
D=1220 lbs @ 65psi M=81mph
E=1520 lbs@80psi N = 87mph

Without explicit speed-rating, B-load tyres have speed-rating of 65mph. This is load*speed operating condition where tyre-temps are stable. Meaning B-rated tyre can be loaded at 785lbs and driven @ 65mph for minimum 1-hr without temps increasing to dangerous levels. Also means that if you have it loaded less than 785-lbs, you can drive it faster. Or if you have it loaded more than 785-lbs, you should go slower.

Same thing with C-load tyres with M speed rating. Can load it up @ 1050lbs and go 81mph for at least one hour without worry. Or load it less than that and run it faster. Or load it higher and slow down.

Ultimate test is to measure actual tyre-temps when in use. Temps shouldn't be over 180-190F max and not increasing.

I've had my trailer loaded with 2 bikes going 80mph for hours on end to Laguna Seca from SoCal without any issues on B-rated tyres. Total weight w/trailer was 985-lbs, well below 1570-lbs max-load rating of 2 tyres. So going higher than 65mph speed-rating didn't result in dangerous temperature rises. Actually stabilized at 130F.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
FWIW, and I don't see a lot of Bushtec-specific comments here, their tires are of a size that are not generic.
Often they must be sourced from Bushtec, although I'll be finding out in a year or so. They are not known for any real- world speed restrictions.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
FWIW, and I don't see a lot of Bushtec-specific comments here, their tires are of a size that are not generic.
Often they must be sourced from Bushtec, although I'll be finding out in a year or so. They are not known for any real- world speed restrictions.
I was reading that effective today (in another forum), Bushtec is only selling parts and repairs. No more new trailers after the existing small inventory is done.
End of an era if it's true. This is what they said was on the Book of Face (I'm not on that platform)

"Dear Bushtec Customers,

It’s well known that the pull behind motorcycle trailer business has been declining for the past 15 years and continues to decline year after year.

I purchased Bushtec Trailers in March 2017 when the previous owner decided to close it. I have tried to add other product lines to Bushtec with no success to offset the decline in Bushtec fiberglass trailer sales. I downsized Bushtec from 32 employees in 2017 when I purchased it, to 8 employees in 2023 to make the company profitable. In 2020, after Covid, I had to raise the price of the Bushtec trailer to allow for price and wage increases.

Due to the low sales volume of trailers in 2022 and 2023 I decided to stop making the Bushtec fiberglass trailer. Bushtec will continue to sell replacement parts, hitches, wiring, wheels, tires, etc. Bushtec will also continue to service and repair trailers including re-paints. Bushtec does currently have 17 new and used trailers for sale.

So effective today, February 5th, 2024, Bushtec will no longer manufacture new trailers.
We do have the following fiberglass bodies available to build and color match to your bike; 2 - Roadstars, 1 - Turbo, 1 – Quantum Sport, 1 – Xplorer and 1 – RoadMaster with Roadstar fenders (looks great behind a Harley trike).

Thank you for being loyal Bushtec customers.

Sincerely,

Tony Simpson
Owner of Bushtec Trailers "

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Speed & load rating is combined standard.
In the past I've always gotten tires with a speed rating higher than I'm likely to travel. I figure it is cheap insurance - I assume a higher speed rating means the tire is more robust.

Rather than buy just tires, you can get new wheel and tire assemblies cheaper than buying a tire and having it mounted. Here we can get Carlisle tires on rims.
I noticed that looking online today. But many of the places only sell a tire mounted on a steel wheel. When I located a nearby bricks and mortar tire place, they had unmounted tires - and mounting is only $21 per wheel. I'll save about $30 mounting on my rim, but I just might buy one for a spare.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
In the past I've always gotten tires with a speed rating higher than I'm likely to travel. I figure it is cheap insurance - I assume a higher speed rating means the tire is more robust.
I agree, I do same. Just that sometimes, you don’t get choice of tyres when getting trailer or spare wheel.

Higher rating can come from numerous changes. Old style bias-ply would have more plies in casing. Newer generations went to radial construction. Better ride with more mileage! :)

Top Bottom