Trailering a ST ?

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
Use tie downs on the front forks, chock or tie down the front wheel. I've done this with my '91 1100 and '03 1300... nary a problem.

Do NOT use the handlebars.

Joseph

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I've found that the best places are the two tip over bars on the side of the bike. you need to take the black plastic covers off. If you tie-down using the handlebars you risk cracking the handlebar as it's cast aluminum. For the back I use a tie down across the rear seat to stop the bike from moving sideways. Hopefully you're using a wheel chock for the front tire. I hope this helps you. Snowy in VT. jim

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Tie down the rear end too; my brother-in-law watched a truck with dirt bikes in the back have to hit the brakes hard. The bikes rotated up and to the side... did quite a bit of damage to both the truck and the bikes.

Mark

OP
OP
ifly
Tie down the rear end too; my brother-in-law watched a truck with dirt bikes in the back have to hit the brakes hard. The bikes rotated up and to the side... did quite a bit of damage to both the truck and the bikes.

Mark
OUCH !

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Of course you do know that the ST deplores being trailered right?
I suspect no one can even venture a guess as to how it will react; however, in the interest of saving you some trouble here are the possible consequences; dripping green blood, excessive heat, discolored stainless steel, a hot left compartment... the retributions might be endless!

I'd ride it there and avoid as many potential issues as I possibly could!
:D

Mark

OP
OP
ifly
Just taking it to friends garage so we can pull the wheels and have pilot roads put on it ! He is going to balance them for me . They mount them for free here if there off the bike . I have just owened it 25 days and have put 2,000 miles on it !:D

In February, we picked up the new 05 ST in Kansas. It was 7 degrees F when we left for the trip back to Mississippi with the bike in an enclosed trailer. The tech tied it down on the front with straps on the forks to the tie down bails on the floor of the trailer. Looped another tie down through the rear rim a full 360 degrees and to the bails at the rear. Went 810 miles and did not move an inch. The front wheel was chocked as well.

STOC #
I used the tip over bars. Had 2 straps per side. 1 pulling forward, 1 pulling sideways. Then to hold the rear, I wrapped an old flannel shirt around rim and tire, then looped a strap around that, slightly pulling to side and rear.. No scratches on rim or bars. Bike trailered great from KS to TX.

An ST on a trailer is like a dog in a cage...

It's unnatural... ;-)
Yes but you need to do this regularly to show it who's the Boss! Untrained it can get away on you! But reward good behaviour with periods of unrestricted speed!
Works for me!:D

I don't get it. I had to trailer mine once after an accident bent my front rim. I cried, like a little girl with a scraped knee I cried. I can't see going through that again even if I had too.

But if you have to, I'd follow the advise of chocking, using the forks in front and not the handle bars and strapping the rear wheel down. Other places may damage plastics or paint.

Gambit

i make use of nylon loops, about1.5 ft long. i have a few from my rock climbing days. they are made from nylon webbing( 1- 1.5" wide)they are looped around the attachment points on the bike( handle bars, frame, hand holds, etc) the webbing assures that thers no damage to the bikes finish.with ratcheting straps to the trailer frame, it all works pretty good. when i trailerd my own bike home i used 4 attachyment points. if i were dragging it any long distance i'd opt for 6 or 8 points

Bike
STunshine
STOC #
This is most likely overkill but I tied mine down with a wheel chock, a canyon dancer (not very tight), straps on the front tipover bars and BYGDAWG's tip over bars on the rear. Never moved at all.

:07biker:

Top Bottom