Trailering a St1300

Bike
2007 St 1300abs
STOC #
Hell guys, I am setting up my trailer to haul 4 bikes today, I have a few questions regarding D-ring placement. I am using wheel chocks http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96349, a canyon dancer for the bars, tie downs on the tip over bars, and tiedowns for the rear. For the placement for the d-rings I am thinking that you will want to pull everthing into the chock?

Thanks.

stellarpod

It's hungry in here...
Bike
'07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I think you'll want to pull the covers off the tip-over wings and strap to them as well. In my opinion, the Canyon Dancer should be used more to stabilize, rather than your first line of defense.

Steve

Assuming the chock can handle the forces from the tie-downs and maybe a sudden stop. I am not familiar with the Harbor Freight chock. Does it actually hold the front wheel (like Baxley, etc.) or just keep it from rolling (hoop design)? The Baxley-type, and there are several other good ones around now, is great for holding the bike while you get off and hook-up the tiedowns. They also stabilize the front end when on the move. That and the crash bar tiedowns are probably all you need, but use the frame around the rear pegs, too. I go for overkill, then don't sweat the trip.

Four bikes on a trailer? Must be a good-size trailer, especially if they are all ST-sized bikes.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
Just towed my 06 about 300 mile, oh the shame of :please1: for give me oh great one :06biker: I used soft ties on the front triple tree and tie downs on the side to bydawgs bars, worked great. If I do it again I going to pick up two axle straps to hook around the bottom triple. See attachment

Attachments

STOC #
I used this chock. I took the back part off because I didn't think it would come up around the lower faring. I pulled the front wheel into the chock with a tie down strap and also pulled the tip over covers off and used the crash bars for a tie down. I also used a tie down on the back of the bike but the bike bounced and they came off. The next time, I'm planning on just centering the rear wheel and keep the back of the bike in place. The crash bar tie down and wheel chock appear to be more than enough.

How do you take the covers off the tip over bars after the button head bolts have been removed. I hesitate to pry them off... just in case I make an expensive and inconvenient mistake!

Garry::

scootac

Will Ride for Food
How do you take the covers off the tip over bars after the button head bolts have been removed. I hesitate to pry them off... just in case I make an expensive and inconvenient mistake!

Garry::
Once you take the bolt out of the bottom, just squeeze them together a little, gives enough room for the tabs to release. Then just wiggle them back and forth a little!

Bike
GL1800
With regard to C Dancers I have found these PVC gizmos make a diff with grip protection especially with electric grips. Most everything I have read says ok unless you have aftermarket risers.

I have used the CDs with my grip protectors for my VFR and Wing....many times. No problemo.

I just towed a ST1300 about 1200 miles. NO CDs as John_Diego has risers. We just used the tip over bars plus two points off the rear frame.

We also used the Kendon chock...comes with the trailer.

Top Bottom