Trailers

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
A Lubbock man was killed in a motorcycle crash Thursday morning in Concho County, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Michael Henry Hyman, 63, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on U.S 83 about seven miles south of Paint Rock, which is about 200 miles southeast of Lubbock.

The passenger, Susan Hyman, 60, of Lubbock, survived the crash and was in good condition at Concho County Hospital in Eden, DPS officials said. She suffered abrasions on her face and arms when she was thrown from the bike.

According to the DPS report, Michael Hyman was riding a 1998 Honda Goldwing motorcycle south when what troopers described as a homemade trailer he was towing swerved at about 11:44 a.m., causing him to lose control.

The bike came to rest on the shoulder of the highway.The DPS said it was unclear what caused the trailer to swerve and if either Hyman was wearing a helmet. Friends of the Hymans who witnessed the crash said both Michael and Susan were wearing helmets at the time of the crash.

Butch Moore said the Hymans, along several other friends from Lubbock and himself were travelling to South Padre Island for a vacation when the crash happened. In the convoy of four motorcycles, Moore was two motorcycles behind the Hymans at the time of the crash, he said.

Like the DPS, Moore said, he wasn?t sure what caused the trailer to swerve. Unlike the DPS report, Moore said the trailer was store-bought and not homemade.

After Mac's crash and this one, I'm wondering just how safe trailers really are. You input would be appreciated.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, 1st off... look at just this site... there are move riders wrecking that DON'T have trailers...

In the accident described above, there isn't a lot of info on what happened... hard to come to ANY conclusion when you don't know all the facts.. they may never be known.

Many things could have happened.. the 1st most obvious from reading it appears to be a flat tire but it could also be bad bearing, broken axle... etc... was the trailer maintained? Some folks park these things in a field until they are used once a year.

I think if you found a site that was dedicated to MC Trailers you might find the same amount of wrecks vs non-wrecks that you see here.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
As others have said without details I don't see how anyone can say the trailer was the cause. At this point all we know is he crashed and was pulling a trailer. Did the trailer swerving cause the crash or did it swerve because of the crash, just happening so closely that they were all happening at the same time?

Likely we will never know.

All that being said, I will continue to tow.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I have never had a trailer do anything but trail. Yes, it will swerve a bit when the bike is swerved to miss an object in the road, but not to the extent to lose control of the motorcycle. I have had 2 blowouts (not at the same time) on trailer wheels, and even then the trailer didn't do anything to make the bike squirrelly.

Top Bottom