Trickle charger and battery life...

RCS

Maybe the advice I was given is no good but my $74 battery is still going strong after 2.5 years.

I was told that the best way to use a Yuasa trickle charger is to plug it into your motorcycle battery once every two weeks. After the light on the charger turns green, unplug the charger. This allows the battery to self-drain during the period in between which is suppose to be better for the battery than a constant trickle charge.

So far it is working okay for me...YMMV.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Well,

I bought my '95 in 2004 and it still has the battery that came with it. I use the trickle charger during the downtime in the winter, but that's about it, and then it is on constantly. During the uptime, the bike is used almost every day, at least several times a week and the charger isn't used.

Bill

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
The "Battery Tender" monitors the battery voltage and stops charging when the battery rises to a certain voltage, and then doesn't enable itself again until the battery drops to a certain voltage. At least that's my understanding of how it works. This is different than a typical "trickle" charger that's always charging as a very low current rate, regardless of the battery voltage.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Okay. Trek 2120 thank you for the post. Now I'm wondering what my charger actually does.:think1:

Product description says the unit switches to "float". I guess that means a constant trickle.

Here is the description of my Yuasa charger:

Automatic 12V 900 mA Battery Charger
Fully automatic 3 level charge cycle for effective charging
Reaches 14.4 volt peak, then automatically switches to float
Reverse polarity protection
2 year limited warranty
Download the 12V 900mA Charger Safety Instructions (a PDF file)

See below for online retailers.
MSRP: $39.95
Product Number:YUA1200901

Bike
ST 1300
Bob..the "battery tender" seems to be the one to use. The junior model would be the one for bikes. The thing I like best about it is that is has a pigtail that stays connected to the battery at all times and just plugs in when you you use externally. You can see the pigtail on the picture. On ebay you can find them for about 25-30 bucks.

http://batterytender.com/battery-tender-junior-12v-at-0-75a.html

Hers one on ebay at a great price and the seller has 100% feedback Good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-CAR-BATTERY-TENDER-JR-JUNIOR-DELTRAN-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c573571aaQQitemZ190441681322QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts

Bike
ex-ST'r
STOC #
Never can be sure by specs, but since the Yuasa charger info says it is a three stage charger, I'd assume its safe to leave attached. Three stages are typically CHARGE (full and constant current until battery reaches 14.4v, then it switches to SOAK or constant voltage (holds 14.4v until the current is 1/10 or 1/20 full charge rate), then it switches back to FLOAT and is constant voltage at 13.2v (a healthy and charged Pb battery will not take charge current at 13.2v).

1/10 or 1/20 current fall-back is not to be confused with the battery C/20 rate. Voltages approximate... depends on battery type, exact battery plate mix, acid concentration, etc. To reduce the chance of sulfidation, AGM's and GEL cell batteries shouldn't be charged as fast as WET cells, thus lower voltages are used. E.g., wet cells like 14.4v, but you shouldn't exceed 13.8v for gel or agm types.

A fourth stage (on better chargers) apply about 21v for a brief time; this reduces sulfides that have accumulated through normal use; but you really need to monitor the battery electrolyte, and its best used on wet cells used in deep cycle applications.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Bob..the "battery tender" seems to be the one to use. The junior model would be the one for bikes. The thing I like best about it is that is has a pigtail that stays connected to the battery at all times and just plugs in when you you use externally. You can see the pigtail on the picture. On ebay you can find them for about 25-30 bucks.

http://batterytender.com/battery-tender-junior-12v-at-0-75a.html

Hers one on ebay at a great price and the seller has 100% feedback Good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-CAR-BATTERY-TENDER-JR-JUNIOR-DELTRAN-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c573571aaQQitemZ190441681322QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts
:plus1: On the Battery Tender. Compact, has a nice long cord, and the pigtail makes hookup/disconnect a breeze.

:plus1: On the Battery Tender. Compact, has a nice long cord, and the pigtail makes hookup/disconnect a breeze.
And with the supplied regular jumper-cable/connector lead, if you put a 20 amp fuse in the pigtail you can use it for a jump start.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
+1 on the bat tender + or jr. Either is ok for the 11.1aHr battery and long term connection. Both are now advertised as a 4 stage charger the 4th stage being the 1st one at the beginning characterizing the battery.

There are a few that advertise various desulphating schemes.
And a few battery manufacturers that say you can't desulphate a battery.

To the OP.
If the charger reduces voltage when in float mode it's ok to leave it connected. If it trickel chargers (low current) but not voltage regulated prolly not a good idea to leave it connected. You could leave a voltmeter on the battery while the charger cycles and see the end voltage when the battery is bulk charged, soaked and then in float mode. If it keeps the battery at 14.2 disconnect it.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Yes... multi stage charger(charge/float/de-sulfate) or float charger ok to leave on. Constant charge will prob kill it sooner than not using one at all.

Biggest killer is over charging thats why there's a float charge... the float charge drops the voltage below the 'gas out phase' of charging ( when it makes bubbles ). Tho to fully charge a battery you have to hit about 14.2+ volts, float chargers will put out 13.2-13.8v

More than enough to keep the battery in good shape without overdoing it.

Bike
ex-ST'r
STOC #
There are a few that advertise various desulphating schemes.
And a few battery manufacturers that say you can't desulphate a battery.
Desulf works (by experience). But you really need to be cautious what battery you are doing it to and how hard you go to punch through the layers of oxides.

It isn't something I'd do as a normal part of my M/C battery charging or maintenance. Now my boats 400AH wet cells, I'll do every 6 months as an equalizing step (which also can take off sulfides).

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Interesting.
They say remove that battery. I'm guessing they are primariliy talking about flooded cell?
In their spring start up section they say leave the battery in. :shrug2:

Anywho if you have a aprx 1/10 C, 3 stage charger you should be fine to leave it hooked up. Both the tenders are sized for that.

Top Bottom