Trying to clear up some confusion

Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
I am in the middle of a valve check/adjustment on my 2006 1300, I have 19,000 miles and this is my first time doing this. I checked other threads and was confused by the cam chain adjuster, it seemed no one actually explained the procedure and what exactly was to be done with the tensioner so I will try to explain. The left tensioner is visible on the left to the front of the cylinder and the right is in the same position on the right cylinder and accessed by removing the air filter box and lifting the rubber flap to the front of the throttle body ( you do not have to remove the throttle body). What you have to do is remove the center 6 mm bolt, insert a thin flat head screwdriver turn the adjuster c/w to put slack in the chain so you can remove the cams (you do not have to remove the cam sprockets). The trick is holding the screwdriver in the c/w position till you remove the cams (try vise grips). I have read many threads where the posters have said they did not need to replace any shims at the 16,000 mile check as all valves were in spec but after checking mine all my intake were ok but all my exhaust were at .012in and will need to be adjusted .002in to achieve proper spec of .010in.

Top Bottom