Trying to estimate life left in Rear BT020F

Bike
'89 Transalp
STOC #
Just measured the tread depth on my BT020F Rear and it is 3mm (4/32nds). I do not know the mileage when the tires were installed, but know they have "about" 4000 miles on 'em. Does anyone have BT020F's with a rear that is right at that point who could let me know how many miles to that point? I'm trying to figure out approximately how many miles I MIGHT expect from the 3mm that are left. I know different folks get different wear, but any clues, guesses, or other help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot...

Rod
:old1:

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
If my thinking is right they come with 8/32 new, I could count on about 1500 miles per 32nd over several 020's on my 05, but I am not aggressive in my riding and I'm pretty much easy with the right hand. of course ymmv. :biker:

Papa Ritch

Ritch Davis
Bike
09 SilverWing
STOC #
If DANNYK is right it about 12,000 mile for the tire, I get about 14,000 mile on mine. But I think I run mine a little to far, as I see some silver in the center at time. Ritch:03biker:

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Rod - is that measured from the top of one of the wear indicators?

A new rear BT020F has 8/32 of tread. If you have 4/32 remaining (assuming measured on top of a tread wear bar) with ~ 4k miles...you have ~ 4k miles remaining (under the same riding/road conditions as the first 4k miles).

OP
OP
Old2wheeler
Bike
'89 Transalp
STOC #
No, that is total depth to the bottom of the indentation/groove. So I'd have to go below the wear bars to get close to 8,000 miles. Hmmmm, I'll have to think about that.

Rod

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Rod, Ive found tires in general to show very little wear in the first half of their life. They seem to go much quicker once they show signs of wear. My oem stones were good for 8000 miles, but if I remember right I ran them a little longer than I should of.

OP
OP
Old2wheeler
Bike
'89 Transalp
STOC #
Rod, you going to the Hutchinson RTE ?
Probably not, we got 13 inches of snow over this weekend and they are predicting another storm Thursday/Friday. Don't know how serious that one will be yet. Also, when I had the Tupperware off to run some wires I decided to try to fix the right, bottom mirror mount's four point spring clip by putting a washer behind it. The nut that should have been a clip nut dropped into the fairing somewhere. Gotta take it all off again to find/fix that and as long as I'm in there I'm planning to check the valve clearances and change the air filter.

Rod

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I guess there's something to be said for using the same tire each time. At least you'd know what to expect. I'm in the same boat. I have some left but I don't know how much. I only have 6,000 on my 020's. The middle is wearing pretty fast. The trip to Big Bend ate the rear up pretty good. I may have made a mistake putting 46 psi in the rear. Lot's of rubber left on the sides. I can't imagine getting more than another 1000 out of the rear. I think I read that they start with 9/32". I am just about to the wear bars now and I let some air out hoping it will use up the sides. If you ride locally it's not an issue. If I'm planning a 2000 mile trip I get worried.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
DON'T FORGET TO MEASURE ALL THE WAY AROUND THE TIRE....

Just measuring one wear bar or one part of the tire is not good because they don't wear evenly. Had a friend once look at his tire and said it looked fine and 400 miles later had cord showing on the side he didn't check.

When in doubt, just replace the thing.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Probably not, we got 13 inches of snow over this weekend and they are predicting another storm Thursday/Friday. Don't know how serious that one will be yet. Also, when I had the Tupperware off to run some wires I decided to try to fix the right, bottom mirror mount's four point spring clip by putting a washer behind it. The nut that should have been a clip nut dropped into the fairing somewhere. Gotta take it all off again to find/fix that and as long as I'm in there I'm planning to check the valve clearances and change the air filter.

Rod
I am sorry to hear that. I was looking for some one my own age to ride with. :). Don't know it I can keep up with these young kids.:D I will be riding the Wee to the BBQ.

Bike
ST1300
I agree with Joe, I got 8,400 out of my stock tires 020,s the wear bars were almost there, I wouldnt recommend the 021,s I got about 5,000 on them and they are getting replaced this spring,

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Rod, we got 12 inches Friday, streets are clear today. Last I saw Thursday is rain up here. We are leaving Friday after work if you change your mind. Although if I was you I would run hwy 50. Good luck with your repairs..

OP
OP
Old2wheeler
Bike
'89 Transalp
STOC #
OK, today I took the tupperware off and ran the remaining wires & put it back together. I double checked the tread depth after washing the mud off the whole tire (the water froze on the tire; guess my shop was kind of chilly!). I've got 2/32 to the wear bars all around and 4/32 total. The front has slightly less than 2/32 at the bars and 3/32 total. Not lookin' like a set of tars that're gonna go more than a couple thousand more to me. I'm thinking that the "about 2000 miles" that I added to the 1800 I put on it may have been more like 4000. So it's back to the drawing board. Can't do the other maintenance until stuff (air filter, cyl. hd. rubber gaskets, spare bolts, and plastic rivets, etc) comes in the mail. So I'll watch the weather in the AM to get a clue on what the Thu/Fri weather front's gonna do. Maybe I could go to Hutchinson.

Chuck, do you have a room reserved? If so, is there a spare bed for a snorer? If no, anybody else?

Rod

Top Bottom