turn signal & cancel switch oiling

jcc

live free and die old
Bike
2005 Honda ST
ok, so on my 2005 st it's been getting harder and harder to flip the turn signals, and the cancel button is getting harder to push in to cancel the signals. I haven't taken it apart yet, but i was wondering if it's a real chore to take apart, or is it possible just to shoot some lube in through the outside? What product am i using for either of those remedies?

thanks ahead of time.

Attachments

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Electronic contact cleaner.

1681405144642.png

The CRC QD 11 oz. Contact Cleaner is safe to use on most plastics and is intended for cleaning sensitive electronics and electrical equipment. The cleaner is quick drying and will not leave behind residue.
  • Use for cleaning sensitive electronics and electrical equipment
  • Quick-drying formula is a blend of petroleum distillates and alcohol for a suitable precision cleaner that leaves no residue
  • Ideal for telephones, PCs, relays, edge connectors, tape heads, buss bars, circuits, contacts, printed circuit boards, switches and circuit breakers
  • Safe to use on most plastics

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Sorry I could not resist.
A good spray electrical contact cleaner. I prefer a product called CorrosionX as it prevents corrosion and also lubricates and is dielectric. Just make sure the product is compatible with plastic.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
ok, so on my 2005 st it's been getting harder and harder to flip the turn signals, and the cancel button is getting harder to push in to cancel the signals. I haven't taken it apart yet, but i was wondering if it's a real chore to take apart, or is it possible just to shoot some lube in through the outside? What product am i using for either of those remedies?

thanks ahead of time.
It's not a chore to take the switch apart to clean and lube it. It's very easy and that's how I did this job every 25 or 30,000 miles. Squirting cleaner in there without relubing the moving parts is half the job and it's likely you won't squirt cleaner everywhere it's needed anyway.

There's two vertical screws on the underside of the switch pod that allow removal of the pod halves then a small screw that holds the relevant piece to top of the bar end. No springs or little parts fly out to this point. The push-to-slide left or right and push to release and contact mechanism can be cleaned out with a Q-tip from there, it's self explanatory to the eye. I used a light application of silcone grease or dielectric on the slides and contacts.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
The oem signal switch is robust, and designed to keep working when full of dust, bugs and dried out lube. Contact cleaner is okay to use,, as long as you follow it up with a good plastics compatible dielectric lube. Otherwise the ancient factory lube will just get more dried out and hardened. If this does not restore the function,,, then it's time for a tear down,,, lube and rebuild,,, cheers,, CAt'

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I recently had this same problem and spraying contact cleaner in it didn't help, but taking it apart and cleaning it made it feel like new.-- a rather easy job.

Reactions: jcc
Bike
2010 ST1300
I forget guys, is there not a tiny pin on the bottom of the handlebar that locates the switch? Be careful when you reassemble it to position it over that pin (if I'm not thinking of the other handlebar).

OP
OP
jcc

jcc

live free and die old
Bike
2005 Honda ST
ok, sounds doable, clean & lube, won't fly apart on me, Thanks All!! (*except the blinker-fluid guy, lol)

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
Good post, I thought mine was similar in thumb lever operation so I stripped it all down yesterday (just for something to do) and took the indicator lever apart.
It looks like LM grease is used on the the moving lever parts so cleaned all the components, re-greased and reassembled thumb lever.
Checked, tested and now works smoothly.

Reactions: jcc
Top Bottom