Typical weather end of April in MN,ND,SD,WI

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Good day,
There is a possibility I have a gig in Kamloops, BC, however I need to be there the beginning of May. I’m seeking input on what I might encounter riding through these States during the last week of April (April 27-30)
My other thought is staying lower going through Iowa, Nebraska then up to Montana into Alberta.

The toughest part for me will be going through the pass at Banff, the possibility of snow and cold temps. ;)

thanks

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Not a guarantee, but don't hurt to look at Accu Weather forecast (long daily range) to see what is predicted before you decide your route. I live in Southern Minnesota and seen it snow here in late April/very early May before, but not usually. Typically, the weather is in the 50s and 60s for highs and the lows in the 35 to 45 degree F range. Last year at this time, we had a very unusual warm spring and reached record highs in the 70s and 80s, but this was an anomaly, and you never know what to expect this time of year. I would say you have a 80% chance of cool/warm temps going through Minnesota and should be safe to ride through. Hopes this helps somewhat. Good luck and safe riding!

Bike
04 ST1300
seeking input on what I might encounter riding through these States during the last week of April (April 27-30)
My other thought is staying lower going through Iowa, Nebraska then up to Montana into Alberta.
What is your route going to be going thru the states you mention. Long range forecast for upto April 22nd for northern IL, Iowa does not look very encouraging. You will have to wait and see till another week, what the end of April is looking like.

Bike
2014 ST1300
Alberta can also be a bit tricky. It was gorgeous last week and it's frosty this week; -10C/-18C right now at 7:36 am. It even fooled the tulips who have started to push up through the ground.

As you note, the mountains could get nasty as well, particularly up through Rogers Pass etc. There are also some deadly hills, eg between Lake Louise and Field for one. For that reason they don't open up Highway 40 before mid June.

WestJet has a sale on right now, maybe consider a flight out of Waterloo or London? Though I certainly can appreciate the lure of a cross country ride :)

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
What is your route going to be going thru the states you mention.
I have numerous possibilities. The most direct being, crossing at Detriot, bypassing Chicago, heading up to Minneapolis then to Minot then crossing into Saskatchewan. My other thought was to stay on the lower latitude through Omaha into Nebraska, then into Wyoming heading north to Billings. From there head to Spokane, to Seattle and from there go up to Canada and approach Kamloops from the west, therefore avoiding Rogers pass. Sorry, haven't really chosen roads, I just open google maps with an overview of possibilities.
WestJet has a sale on right now, maybe consider a flight out of Waterloo or London?
Not keen on going in a plane at the moment. The gig is for 7 weeks and I want transportation whilst I'm there. I could drive out in my SUV with the Vespa on the back..... I rather spend the money riding my ST.
I do have full electric gear and have ridden from Winnipeg through Northern Ontario at that time of year, so I know what to expect on that front.

This is all hypothetical, if the gig comes through I have to have a plan in short order, so doing the dreaming now.

Top Bottom