Under Seat

Bike
2005 ST1300 P
I have not had opportunity to see under the seat of any other 1300's. I have two questions:

1) Is this the proper release? It is a pain to get undone. The latch seems legit, but the release cable seems retrofitted.

2) It appears the 'police' model support cross member has been removed that would allow the bike to be outfitted with a police trunk. Can someone confirm?

Attachments

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
If you're missing the proper cable between the seat release tab and the latch, the part number is 77156-MCS-G00 . Expect to pay about $7-8.

Yes, the cross member has been cut off and the tabs ground away.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Before you buy a new cable, make sure that there isn't another reason that your make-shift cable has been put in place.

The proper cable, like all boden cables, relies on two cable stops to fix the outer cable in position at each end. One cable stop is at the front end of the latch. The other is moulded into the plastic of the grey rear 'mudguard' AND the rear cowl where the left hand pannier release mechanism is located.

This could have been damaged by whoever installed your current solution.

Lots of photos and explanation in my thread here.

Last edited:

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Before you buy a new cable, make sure that there isn't another reason for that your make-shift cable has been put in place.

The proper cable, like all boden cables, relies on two cable stops to fix the outer cable in position at each end. One cable stop is at the front end of the latch. The other is moulded into the plastic of the grey rear 'mudguard' AND the rear cowl where the left hand pannier release mechanism is located.

This could have been damaged by whoever installed your current solution.

Lots of photos and explanation in my thread here.

If I didn't thank you before, when I used this article to install mine, thank you.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
From the look of the white bike, guessing it's a police model.

As those didn't have a passenger seat, my guess is it's an incomplete retrofit, thus the long cable release.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300 P
No its not, the release is actuated by pushing the small notch inside of the left saddlebag release lever (the grey lever with the locking key).
Thank you for the photos. I'll do some investigating.

Top Bottom