Unigo ready to go!

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I just finished getting the hitch mounted and the electrical connected and just took my Unigo out for the first time. I just picked the Unigo up this week from a fellow selling it in Thousand Oaks. The trailer is a 2002 model but looks brand new and it just happens to be an exact color match to my ST1100. I had heard that the Unigo was easy to tow but I was really amazed. I could hardly tell it was behind me. Rock steady and I took it up to 100mph with no issues at all, rock stable. I am anxious to take it out on a trip. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Dan

Katmando64

R.I.P. - 2012/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
2008 ST1300
I have to wonder out loud why some are having stability problems and some don't.
+1! I keep thinking of buying a new one but those threads about stability are perplexing! I hear that they must be set up correctly but have not heard what that should be. :confused:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm thinking the original BS 020 or the Metzler 880... I have a feeling the dual compound tires are one issue but that's a guess and I just haven't had the time to test out that theory...

Dan, what tires are you running on your ST1100? Also, was the trailer empty?

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I'm thinking the original BS 020 or the Metzler 880... I have a feeling the dual compound tires are one issue but that's a guess and I just haven't had the time to test out that theory...

Dan, what tires are you running on your ST1100? Also, was the trailer empty?
I am running Bridgestone BT020's I tried the 021's but had major wear problems on the front. Switched back to the older 020's and the bike handle so much better. I would think a tire with a nice stiff sidewall may help your situation. I would also make sure your rear shock damping is set a bit higher with the trailer.

I put about 50 lbs in the trailer when I test ran it.

Remember also I have an ST1100 not an ST1300 which is known to have quicker handling than the rock stable ST1100.

Dan

Dan

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Somehow, that looks better than behind a 1300. Good on ya.

?I caution other riders not to attempt to ride on the Lake Bed during these freaky type of conditions?. ?It would have killed a normal man?.
implying what ,,,hmmmn :think1:

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
He is going to soo regret taking his bike on the salt flats. His bike is going to be toast in about a month. I made several land speed record attempts in the 70's and I can tell you that even with careful cleaning afterwards that salt eats up everything. It get into every small crack and crevice and electrical connection. We would drown our bikes in LPS 3 corrosion preventer and even this would not stop the destruction just slow it down. I set one record for a short time riding a Suzuki X6 Hustler in the 250cc production class in 1974. When I got back I cleaned the bike up really well and let it sit for about a month and when I went to start it the motor was frozen solid.

Dan

after much thinking I guess I am Just normal,,, with a headache :doh1:

back to the subject at hand

Gamecock

Hey Y'all, Watch This!
Bike
2006 FJR
Glad to hear you like it. ;)

Here's some pics of mine
Indypup, I see you "modified" your Ohio trailer tag to reduce its profile on the Uni-go. LOL! It kind of stinks that states that require tags on trailres don't have smaller tags (like motorcycle tags) for small trailers. Seems odd having a larger tag on the little trailer than on the bike.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Dan, very nice setup! Great match.

Joe, did you notice the fairing extenders low and forward on Dan's bike? The ST1100 is not quite the bulbous shape forward as the ST1300 is, nor is the length/rake the same, but I can't help but notice those fairing extenders at just the right spot. I suspect that is important for the air eddies you're experiencing at your trailer.
:shrug1:

Top Bottom