Unigo trailer under braking

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
As to "moron" and "slow it down" I'm with him 100%. This may or may not differ though – CA has a maxium speed of vehicles towing trailer – 55mph. This is probably the same or similar in other states. But it's routinely voilated. I've seen cars and truck pulling trailers at 70+. "She's steady as a rock" may or may not be accurate but most of these yayhoos don't seem to consider stopping distances.
As far as I know California is the sole owner of a special speed limit for trailers.

It's not the overall speed that is the danger, or the reason I would call the O(ther)P(oster) a moron. Speed in a corner or in a congested area is the danger. When towing you need to be planning this stuff out long ahead. If the trailer is pushing you in the corner then you should have planned and slowed down sooner. If you see cars a mile ahead, they drive erratic and you are not sure what's going on, slow down now. Sudden change, quickly and safe do not work together when towing a trailer. If you are running Hwy 26 across Wyoming and you don't see a car for miles, run as fast as you like, but if have a pending interchange or heavy traffic youneed to slow it up early skippy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
I would call the OP a moron
Just so we are clear I was NOT the Orginal Poster of this statement !!!!!! I was just quoting it. I have never towed a trailer on a bike ever which is why I was asking about the Unigo

Reactions: Obo

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
"... So when I see police earning they pay and my taxpaying dollars at work with a car/truck and trailer stopped and a tag being scratched – I choose to ..."

What does "a tag being scratched" mean?

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I had a riding buddy years ago in Indiana , he pulled a trailer with a '96 GoldWing , until one day he was pulling out onto a local road , in the rain , his ( 2 wheel ) trailer fishtailed & pulled / diverted / jerked him into the oncoming lane where a car hit him head-on & killed him . ( witnesses said ) I , myself , have never wanted to pull a trailer with a MC after that .

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
What does "a tag being scratched" mean?
In the context of the entire statement, a fair assumption would be that it translates in to writing a ticket.
That ^ aka issuing a performance award.

It's not the overall speed that is the danger
Well that's true of speed in any circumstance - except where it's too fast for conditions. Since we can't rate drivers for driving priveliges based on their ability we set limits. In point of fact speed is rarely a primary collision factor in CA though often a secondary collision factor.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was ticked off in Utah as the speed limit was 75-80 mph
Vehicle pulling a trailer was maxed at 55 mph and NO trailers in the HOV lane.
I took that comment as they meant 18 wheelers and not 3 wheelers.

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
I had a riding buddy years ago in Indiana , he pulled a trailer with a '96 GoldWing , until one day he was pulling out onto a local road , in the rain , his ( 2 wheel ) trailer fishtailed & pulled / diverted / jerked him into the oncoming lane where a car hit him head-on & killed him . ( witnesses said ) I , myself , have never wanted to pull a trailer with a MC after that.
Sorry to hear about this accident involving your riding buddy.

This is very concerning to me , I'm wondering if having one wheel might have mitigated the slide (less tyre contact area therefore more contact pressure) or the type of hitch. If you have any more information and are comfortable sharing it would be very helpful

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
I was ticked off in Utah as the speed limit was 75-80 mph
Vehicle pulling a trailer was maxed at 55 mph and NO trailers in the HOV lane.
I took that comment as they meant 18 wheelers and not 3 wheelers.
I would have assumed that towing a trailer on a motorbike would have necessitated a slowing riding speed, from your experience what is a safe maximum towing speed with a fully laden trailer ?

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
'Fully laden' is difficult to answer, but I've never had a problem at the max. speed limit here (60mph) plus a little bit....!
The question '..how does it handle?...' I usually reply '..with four large people and lots of luggage in your Civic. How does it handle?...'
You compensate and drive/ride accordingly.....
When parked up, most queries about what you can carry comes from women! When riding, it's dogs in cars take most interest!

It's a nice feeling being able to swoop past trucks/caravans/motor homes labouring up an incline without any effort.. :)

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Sorry to hear about this accident involving your riding buddy.

This is very concerning to me , I'm wondering if having one wheel might have mitigated the slide (less tyre contact area therefore more contact pressure) or the type of hitch. If you have any more information and are comfortable sharing it would be very helpful
There were 3 of us riding buddies , I moved to Michigan & this happened couple years later and the 3rd of us reported this happening to me & that's all the details he had & so I got from him . victim was riding alone - only witnesses in cars around . I would think the wet pavement wouldn't make any difference of either 1 or 2 wheels though . I don't know but there could have been oil from leakers too , on the road , being at an intersection .

Top Bottom