Universal VistaCruise on the ST1300

vintagemxr

Old Fahrt
Bike
V-Strom 1000
STOC #
When I sold my Aprilia Caponord I defarkled it and one of the items I kept was the universal mount Vista Cruise throttle lock. After riding the ST for a bit I decided to see if I could adapt the universal VC to it. Turned out to be simpler than I expected.

I slid the clamping ring over the throttle grip, used the rubber spacers that came with the VC, tightened down the three set screws and was good there.

The trick, of course, is anchoring the clamping ring to the control lever assembly somehow. I was loath to drill holes in the switch case (there are wire and switch things in there) and glue was definitely out. Turned out all I had to do was make a small spacer out of a piece of metal rod, use a longer bolt for the assembly, and everything was hunky dory. I didn't even do proper measurements on the spacer, just eye-balled it. Also painted it black with some satin PJ-1 high temp paint I had on the shelf.

The VC does take up some room on the twist grip but I have small hands so I think it's good enough. If I get to feeling crowded I can still trim the flange off of the grip. and slide the VC in a bit and shorten up the anchor rod.

I'm really happy to have the throttle lock working on the ST. Something about old age and sport touring bikes makes hands go to sleep very easily.

BTW, I went ahead and replaced all the other control assembly mounting screws with s/s socket screws. Buffed 'em out. Looks nice.

As always, you mileage may vary. Do this mod at your own risk!

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Did you consider the standard black nylon Vista Cruise? It only costs $20, is hardly visable and works great. Yours looks like a complex way to solve an easy problem.

Ed

OP
OP
vintagemxr

vintagemxr

Old Fahrt
Bike
V-Strom 1000
STOC #
OldWingit said:
Did you consider the standard black nylon Vista Cruise? It only costs $20, is hardly visable and works great. Yours looks like a complex way to solve an easy problem.

Ed
Actually, it was a pretty easy solution since the VistaCruise was a left-over from my Aprilia and required no additional expenditure of $.

:)

Top Bottom