Unusual SPIKE in Engine Heat! HELP!!!

I have had an UNUSUAL spike in temps. The heat previous to about two weeks ago was manageable and in line with what I've heard.

For some reason, two weeks ago, my bike started idling a little rough. Had to adjust the idle up a bit.

Now the heat is UNGODLY! I mean, I've never felt heat like this. The oil level is good, the engine temp gauge doesn't move out of the middle, but MAN my legs are BAKING! I've never felt the plastic this hot before.

I talked to an ST buddy and he told me that using higher octane fuel can cause this as we don't have the compression needed to burn off all the gas.

Thinking I had a problem with bad fuel I ran some Techron through a tank of which I am almost through.

I gotta think:

1. The heat seems wayyyyy to hot.
2. I'm beginning to doubt the accuracy of the temp gauge.
3. My economy hasn't changed.
4. The heat seems to be worse on the right side than the left, although the left gets pretty darned hot too.

Any thoughts? Is this something to be concerned about?

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
How many miles on your bike? Might need a valve adjustment.... maybe??? Or could be something like this:
When catalytic converters become clogged they will make an excessive amount of backpressure. Continued short trips, poor quality fuel, additives, etc can increase deposits in cats. Increased exhaust pressure will heat the whole exhaust system considerably. Watch out for a tell-tale sign of restriction: primary pipes turning colors. It sounds like you've got your problem solved though. Just an FYI.

Bryan
:cool:

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I have no clue... Mine is at 18k also... and I'm dreading 'the other shoe falling'.... So far no heat, no thermostat problem, no wobble/weave.... So far my bike has been PERFECT.... and that scares the crap out of me!!!! (but in a good way)....
:cool:

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
For some reason, two weeks ago, my bike started idling a little rough. Had to adjust the idle up a bit.

Now the heat is UNGODLY!
Not to get overly deep here, but perhaps the increased heat is being caused by the adjustment you made to the idle. Can you change it back and see what difference it makes?

DWJ

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Have you changed your riding gear in anyway? Reports indicate the heat is much more noticiable when wearing jeans or mesh compared to regular riding gear. My '05 approaching 48K has never shown excess heat nor has it wobbled.

OP
OP
No change in riding gear. Just the idling issue. Did add some Techron to try and clean things out. Other than that nothing.

Someone told me that using high octane with the fact our compression isn't high enough to burn it all off can cause excess heat in the exhaust.

Fact or myth?

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
I read somewhere in a post a while back that someone lowered their idle speed and the heat the bike put out went down considerably.

Now you are saying that you increased your idle speed and the heat increased.

Me thinks we may be on to something, no idea why idle speed would effect heat but I would try slowing it back down and see what happens.

If it's idling rough, could have been bad gas.

EDIT: The idle speed adjustment my adjust more than we know.

Looking forward to hearing what happens if you lower it again.

skyboybry

Hi-Hi!
Bike
Sparkles
STOC #
Myth. The engine is supposed to burn high octane fuel. Have you checked your MPG lately? If it drops a few miles/gallon I would suspect that you may need an enricher adjustment, O2 sensor failure, cat restriction, something like that. If your O2 sensor is reading incorrectly, it will tell the FI to lean out when it isn't neccessary. Cars often have bad O2 sensors, but you can't feel the excessive heat. You will notice your fuel mileage decrease though. The engine light never turns on because it thinks everything's OK until the sensor eventually just fails.
When cats clog, the increased exhaust backpressure will heat the exhaust and cause low power due to increased pumping loss. You will try to compensate for the low power by giving it more throttle, thus making the condition even worse. I would be interested to know the EBP spec. Is it in the service manual? I don't have one yet.
Be careful what you add to the fuel, some of that stuff can have a negative effect on the O2 sensors, they are sensitive to additives. I don't know how much the manufacturer tests that stuff.
I wouldn't suspect your valve adjustment if this heat issue happened suddenly, valves go out of adjustment gradually unless there's a failure.
Make sure you check for a dirty air filter & vaccuum leaks before you go taking it to the shop. Also check your mileage.
I'm just drawing from 25 years as a truck/auto tech & making suggestions, I've only owned my ST for a month and a half. Good luck!

Top Bottom