Update: Remember my $800 ST1100 purchase?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Hey, gang. The original for-sale thread was automatically deleted, so I decided to post a new thread.

Remember the '96 ST1100 I bought from Lance (@mansell2)? I trailered it home, took it off the trailer with my son's help, took it for a one-mile ride, then parked and covered it for a few weeks. I finally got around to uncovering it and checking it out more closely. The three wires to the front-left signal socket were sticking out of the vent of the mirror cover, and had blown the fuse.

I popped it open, plugged the wires back onto the back of the socket, put in a bulb, put it back together, replaced the signal fuse, and it worked like it should, so I took the bike for inspection. Despite one low-beam headlight filament being out, it passed inspection. I guess enough bikes come from the factory that way. So, I went for a ride which ended up being about an hour.

To absolutely no surprise to me, the bike ran flawlessly. Despite the 'choke' appearing to not function, it starts immediately and idles fine. Within one minute, it revs and accelerates cleanly. It handles the road and curves as well as my '01, and there is only one thing that needs improvement to suit me; the seat and handlebar positioning is suited to a much smaller rider than I am.

Of course, I can easily swap the RDL seat on my '01, but that would only make the reach to the OEM handlebar even farther. Fortunately, I bought a second original Helibar set a while back, and just recently a pair of extended riser clamps. What I will have to determine is whether I can bring the grips high enough with the existing cables, hoses, and bar wiring harnesses.

For now, I effectively have a short-trip bike and a long-distance bike. The '96 is okay for a while, but as my '01 was when I got it, not suitable for me for a long ride until I make the above mods and add a pair of highway blades. It also lacks an NEP throttle lock and a TPMS, as well as an in-pocket 12v power outlet for my automotive-style Garmin GPS and my phone charger.

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
If you want to buy or trade an older set for a "newer" set of HeliBars, like your other bike, let me know. It'll include the hose extensions.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
If you want to buy or trade an older set for a "newer" set of HeliBars, like your other bike, let me know. It'll include the hose extensions.
No, my '01 has the older type, with two joints on each side. The newer ones only have one joint per side and a U-shaped center section. I prefer the older type, which is what both of mine are.

Did I misunderstand you? Which type do you have, and which type are you looking for?

I may very well be interested in the extensions. What do you have? Hoses (brake and clutch) only, or cables (throttle and choke) as well? I don't know if I need them yet, but I probably will.

When I got my '01, it already had the Helibars on it, but lowered to suit the previous owner. I raised them all the way with no problem, so it might already have extended hoses and cables.

However, when I added the extra-tall riser/clamps, I had to re-route everything to behind the triple clamp, which I managed to do up top only, without removing any body panels.

1682226791611.png 1682227235034.png 1682226826485.png

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I have both styles but only interested in selling these. Only brake and clutch hoses. If you got your other cables and wires run, you could do it with these. The "U" shaped riser is about 8 1/2", center to center.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Hey Larry - Glad to see the odometer is still spinning!! That was my biggest hope for this bike. Enjoy! -Lance
Absolutely! I slow-charged the battery for a couple of days beford I took it off of the trailer, and it has started instantly since. It's definitely a rider. I'll actually choose it first for a shorter ride.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Well, I rode up to Germantown, MD. for a group birthday dinner on Saturday, and came home that night.

This ST ran and rode perfectly. Not one issue or hiccup. I rode around 85-90 mph a good part of the way.

Amazing bikes!

Top Bottom