Upgrade to US-type constant turn signal lights?

Hi there,
Sorry if this as been discussed before, but did not find anything when searching.
I have just bought a 2002 ST1300 and wonder if it is any easy ways of installing a "US-type front turn signals" where the turn signal lights are constantly on (with the park/driving lights) and flashed when the turn signal switch left/right is turned on. Any relay which are possible to buy? In the event that this requires larger works done, I believe I will skip the upgrade.

Many thanks.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The difference is that US bikes have dual-filament bulbs (like tail-light/brake-light bulbs) in the front signals.

The dimmer filament is called the running light, and the turn-signal switch turns of each one when that side's signal is flashing, so there is greater contrast for better visibility.

The EU bikes probably have a different turn-signal switch, so you might need to swap yours for a US switch.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
"Easy way" of installing the front US style turn/running lights?
Buy a dual bulb socket that fits the OEM lens and the dual filament bulbs that fit the socket you bought.
Wire the "running light" filament into the peanut bulbs or any other ignition switched power.
Wire the turn signal wire into the existing turn signal wire that was run to the OEM turn signals.
Wire the ground wire into the existing ground that was run to the OEM turn signals. It will be shared with the "running lights."
No relay needed. No new switch needed.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
This mod has been done a few times here before and I don't remember that it required a new switch. US type three wire sockets will be needed as well as dual filament bulbs.

Easy: Replacing the two-wire sockets and factory bulbs with US-type three wire sockets and dual filament bulbs is the start. Connect the indicator and ground (earth) wires as with the factory sockets. Then connect the third "running light" wire to a 12V IGN On source.

The running lights may not be legal where you are so a switch may be needed to turn them off. If they are legal or traffic enforcement doesn't care then no worries.

What this give you is an always on running light with the blinker/indicator/turn signal illuminating more brightly as with some tail light/brake lights on cars.

Moderate: Our Hondas turn Off the running light while the turn signal is active so as to provide greater conspicuity to your intent to turn. To do the same you will need a relay to interrupt the 12V to the running lights while the turn signals are switch on. On our North American bikes this is probably done in the switch gear without a relay but adding a new pod would be more money than I'd want to pay.

This means a little more wiring but it's still not too difficult. You could start with a keep it simple with the running light constantly On then later add the relay. I'm pretty sure there are some threads here that cover this better than I did.

Involved: I believe using switchback LED bulbs would allow the US indicator On/running light Off — Indicator Off/running light On operation without a relay. But this mean a little more work, parts and expense.

Broad strokes: after doing the Easy version above switchback LEDs are used instead of dual filament incans. These bulbs have both white and amber LED arrays. The running lights are On but switching On an indicator turns the running light Off while signaling and back On when the indicator is switched Off.

One caveat: with the switchbacks you'll have white LED light showing through an amber lens. Generally the most efficient light transfer happens when LEDs match the color of the lens in front of them. This is because the lens is actually a filter removing most light but the color it allows to pass – in this case amber. I don't know the about of amber light contained in a white LED emitter. In incandescent bulb contains the entire spectrum of visible light (and then some) where as I don't believe an LED does.

Somebody here may have put white/amber switchbacks behind the factory amber lenses and can comment. The possibility of having dimmer running lights compared to NA counterparts shouldn't be a big deal when you didn't have running lights at all. The turn signals would be fine as they are intrinsically amber.

Some of us have used clear front turn signal housing which allow maximum white and amber light transfer and to our eyes subjectively freshen the ST's look.

If all that seems a little daunting the Easy method will work very nicely.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
There are places in the UK that sell kits to do this conversion. Along with the new sockets that are required, most of them also include the parts needed to convert to the LED switchback turn signals at the same time.

Below is one example.
There are others vendors if you look for them. I linked to this one just to give you an idea.
Switchback Indicator kit DRL ST1300 inc tail Rear Indi LED bulbs lightenupgrade

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thanks a lot for great input as always! I will have a look at the links and see if it is worthwhile the time and costs involved :)

Top Bottom