Upgrading a Givi "E" series top box, Or dressing up a pig.

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
When I bought my ST it had a Givi Monokey E 36 top box already installed. Not very pretty, but hey I can get my large and a medium helmets in it at the same time so ugly but useful. So one day as I was surfing through the inter-nets, I found the E68 backrest from Givi for my box. So I told Santa that would be a nice present for me. He didn't listen but my wife did. Last night it was 50 plus degrees outside (in Chicago) so more than tollerable to be working in the unheated garage. I found it kinda cute that they package the backrest in a reusable bag about the right size for a bottle of wine or a 5th of whiskey (See pics below). The instructions were not the most discriptive but I managed. I always hate drilling holes in perectly good stuff so I lined up the template checked the measurements, they were only like 2 mm off from the paper template and the backrest. So some good old eyeballing and I managed to actually nail it. Yes you may notice that the pic of the holes drilled are not quite on the same height. That was because the mounting holes were drilled slightly off on the backrest. Quality control.

All in all it was not that hard to do. Took about 30 mins just cause I was being kinda anal about it. The pad is very nice and should make my wife happier. My only concern would be the lower part of the box where the have a few braces. Think I might need to make a cover for those so as not to have them poking my wifes butt and lower back. We shall see. I am looking for a padded liner for the of the inside of teh box. Another upgrade I plan to add a brake/turn signal led bar to the back of the box as well.

Attachments

Top Bottom