USB cable from pocket to handlebars?

So, I just completed my first long-distance trip on the ST1300 (700miles in 15 hours). Seems like my phone is only up to 12 hours of nav+music though.

The phone is mounted in a RAM X-Grip between the handlebars. Previous owner had already mounted a 12V outlet in the right pocket, which I rewired properly (waterproof connectors and actual fuses!!).
However, it doesn't seem possible to sneak a USB cable out of the pocket without the lid flying open once you hit even mediocre speeds.

How do people solve this? Do you have the 12V/USB outlet mounted somewhere else? Is there a modification you can make on the pocket that doesn't sacrifice the somewhat waterproof nature of it?
Or, am I just doing it wrong?

Mine is in an electrical box between the handlebars. on other bikes I just mounted it on handlebars.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I use an outlet in the l/h “ glove box” to power up my Nuvi GPS, and I just shut the cover on the wire. Never a problem. Has never leaked, and has not hurt the cord yet.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I mounted a powerlet over the steering axis (I think it might have been a MCL center piece) as well as one below each fairing pocket. A USB adapter fed my charging cord for my phone. For my VStrom I just bought a quadlock, their anti vibe device, and their wireless charger. Click the phone in the holder and it charges as I ride. The power cord from the 'wireless' (clearly a misnomer) charger goes to a powerlet between the handlebars.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I thought about modifying the lids of the pockets on my bike, but I never bothered to do it. I just trail the wire out and close the lids without latching them. What can help stop the lids moving in the wind is to gently tighten the screws of the hinges. Those on mine were very loose before and I nipped them up a bit more.

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
I have a cable going through the forward wall of the left hand pocket. There's a grommet in the hole that allows my tender cable to go down and over to the battery (Also doubles as a dual USB port when I have the SAE connector plugged into it rather than my tender) and a USB that goes up to where my SatNav is. I plan on putting one in from the pocket, under my seat, and up to my tank bag. If you plan on running ANY cables, and you want to avoid taking the plastics off, get an electricians fish tape; mine made the project so much simpler. All I needed to remove was the seat. Went out a snapped a few shots.
Shot 1 left pocket, facing forward
Shot 2 USB up from there and out through the rubber for the windscreen mounts. This powers my Garmin.
Shot 3 the only place you can see any of the cable run is at the bottom of the tank where it dives under the seat. I have to take the tank off next week and I'll see about hiding this. I'll also be adding that USB cable to run to my tank bag.
Shot 4 the 12v to dual USB port that plugs into the 12v lead from the battery right now, my tender is plugged into it.
Shot 5 having the tender plugged in to the lead in the pocket, allows me to set the tender itself on my dash, where I can see it any time I'm in my shop. Since I have 4 aquariums in the shop, I am out there a lot.
The lid locks tight, with no mods or changes to it. and I have all the connections I need. Of course, while the tender is plugged in, the lid has to remain open, but it's in my garage area, so moot point...
The grommet seems to be doing a great job, as I live where we get A LOT of rain, and it hasn't leaked...
It seems to me that running a cable to the handlebars as you want to do, would prove to be easy. Finding that grommet would be the hardest part, and EBay has them...

Attachments

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My 12V socket is a DIN (powerlet/Hella/BMW/etc) in my Heli riser. Then there's a 12V power socket adapter with a USB adapter in that. It's exposed to the elements but I avoid rain like the plague so there's little chance of it getting wet.

The DIN socket has a gasket so it's very water resistant. If I were to hit rain I'd unplug everything and just run the phone on its own power until the clouds were gone.

Another option might be an additional battery back that mounts to the phone. Just depends how you roll.

OP
OP
Accidental Ironbutt
Alright, thanks for all your input guys!

I'll look for a thinner cable first, and try to tighten the hinges a bit.

If that doesn't work for me, I'll probably re-purpose the additional hole the PO drilled in the pocket to put a grommet in and sneak the cable out that way.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Alright, thanks for all your input guys!

I'll look for a thinner cable first, and try to tighten the hinges a bit.

If that doesn't work for me, I'll probably re-purpose the additional hole the PO drilled in the pocket to put a grommet in and sneak the cable out that way.
Where you put the cable when you close the lid seems to effect it also. Although unlikely the lid appears to close and latch completely when the cable is in this position. It will not latch at all when the cable exits near the lower end of the pocket.

IMG_7686.jpeg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If I needed to run a cable out from under the lid of either fairing pocket I'd get a small round file and grind a semi-circle into the ld. Then cut a grommet in half and glue it into the lid. Maybe even glue a small rubber or silicone strip onto the fairing underneath where the cable and grommet would rest. Maybe do it just inboard of the hinge so there's the greatest leverage on sealing the opening.

I don't ride in the rain so for those times when the cable isn't run out the pocket the open grommet wouldn't be much of an issus.

Top Bottom