Use for old ear plugs.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
You @sirbike are a genius! :wave1:

I've resorted to folded strips of cardstock or a plastic gift card to keep those square nuts where we want 'em.

Hat's off!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Ya know... I'm not particularly rich but I can spring for a fresh set of earplugs for most any non-primary use and be happy binning a used set. But that's just me.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
The best way to deal with the nut issue is forget the suppied bolt and buy a bit of 6mm all thread and add a "top" nut. It should be 6mm all-thread. Cut the all thread (2 needed per batt.) around an inch long, deburr and install the new all thread bolt\nut over\in the bike wiring stud rings and snug it down on the top of the battery stud point. I also have a 2nd nut above the new nut that I use to secure the extra wires that get attached to the battery posts. Heated gear wires, accessory wires. All fused of course.

When you get a new battery just unscrew the old setup and install it on the new battery.

Is this clear? Need a pic? Imagine two studs sticking up on the battery instead of the bolts.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The best way to deal with the nut issue is ... buy a bit of 6mm all thread and add a "top" nut.
I've not seen all thread in metric sizes around here. At least in the usual hardware stores where Hopot has not forced them out of business, and not in the iron and aluminum stock rack at Hopot. Just buy a long 6mm bolt and cut off the thread length you need....(I was going to say get a 2" long 6mm bolt - but we can make that a 6 x 50 mm bolt).:)

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Just a caveat, battery bolts and nuts are plated to prevent corrosion.... unplated all-thread?? I use the foam trick.
If you've got a lot of things connected to a battery post, time to think about an auxiliary fuse block.

Top Bottom