Using Honda GL1800 Crash Bars??

Bike
2010 ST1300
Regarding OldWingIt's question about why add the crash bars - Not all roads are smooth and flat. I dropped my bike at a stop sign with the handlebars turned full lock to the left. There were more potholes and patched holes (bumps) than a camel has fleas - and bygdogs crash bars worked just fine. I got a bit of a scrape on the low side's bar. No other damage than a scuff on the bottom of Honda's plastic guard. With two points of contact and support you are better protected if one of those ends up in a pothole. If you look at the bike when tipped and resting on Honda's crash bar alone, there is not much clearance between the saddlebag and the ground.

How do you tell which is stronger, MCL's or Bygdawgs? Neither is designed to save the bike in the event of dropping it at speed - both say as much. Both brands do what they are supposed to do, as attested by many people in other threads. In the end it comes down to which style you prefer (based on appearance), availability, cost, and probably the phase of the moon. I really don't think it matters much which one you use - as long as you have it on before you need it.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
You have to trim the Wing mounts a little, so they'll sit flat and then open the holes to fit the ST bolts. Longer bolts are needed and the bars have to be squeezed together for the holes to line up. I've got mine drilled and trimmed, but keep forgetting to put them on.

John
Did you ever get yours put on? I got a set with the intent of buying the mounting kit until his bad luck with the fire. Still sitting in a box.

toby267

No, they wont work. I was assuming you were using the MCL tip over bars, but you have the police bars instead. You could always sell me those, and buy the bars the peg loweering blocks would work with :)

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Did you ever get yours put on? I got a set with the intent of buying the mounting kit until his bad luck with the fire. Still sitting in a box.
I still haven't gotten around to putting them on. I may try to get that done today. Thanks for the reminder.

John

Thanks toby267, but I do not know if these would work. I have crash bars that look like this attachment.php and fit in the slot for the passenger pegs. What do you think?
REACHING OUT TO ALL RIDERS, I need Police Crash Bars and Rear Tip Over Bars!
THIS IS A MUST HAVE FOR ME 1993 HONDA ST1100, NO LUCK.
PLEASE HELP.
I NEED THESE FOR MY ST1100 "YESTERDAY"

I saw a post here recently stating that Gold Wing Crash Bars will mount on the rear of a ST1300. Can be used as roll over bars. Even saw a set fro sale on this board. I have set and they don't seem to match the bolt holes on the lower rear of my ST1300.

Any suggestions or information on these.

Thanks,

Lee Ullmann
Casa Grande,AZ:)
The Goldwing GL1800 bike is the safest bike in the world, especially for a Top Gun Competitor like myself (3rd in the state-Top Gun Fort Hood GWRRA State Rally) and now I am training for a Police/Civilian Motorcycle Skills Competition in Texas. It's going to be a cool event where riders show off their skills on a Police Course and Civilian Course (Which is much tighter).
http://www.northtexasmotorcyclechallenge.com/register.html

But the question of why use the bars from a Goldwing on an ST? I have read they will work with the adapter to an ST1300.
I am vigorously looking for a way to make them work on my ST1100...because it is more nimble.

The bars on the Goldwing have taught me to stay on the bike and just hang on. With the combination of the Front Engine Guards and the Rear Tip Over bars, since they are solid STEEL TUBING, they do not bend like those on a Harley Davidson. They are amazing.

Tracy Sparking.jpg

Even without adapter they can work, just need some longer bolts and give the bars a little squeeze. Mellow listed the article on his post.
Got it.. and DON"T put your foot down cus those bars will break your leg when you hang your foot on it! :bow1:

Tracy Sparking.jpg

Top Bottom