Using iPhone 7 Plus in the U.S.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Going to SC / FL area for a few weeks in February.

I have an older unlocked 7Plus, model A1784, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_7

Spec indicates GSM, CDMA2000, EV-DO, HSPA+, LTE, LTE Advanced compatibility.

My discount cell phone provider Zoomer Wireless has advised customers that U.S. wind down of 3G network means I cannot roam in the U.S., a real PITA.

My solution or workaround to this is to stop at a U.S. Walmart and purchase a prepaid talk/text/data SIM card to replace my Zoomer Wireless one. I'm assuming I can simply remove my Zoomer SIM, stick in the new SIM and the phone will work.

Has anyone else done this? Any issues? I do plan to backup my phone before leaving. Yes, I know I can resolve this by moving to another cell phone provider, but I don't want to do this at this time.

***Also, I plan to use a new number, I will not port my existing number to the new SIM card***

This is an example of a card that appears to be compatible.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Going to SC / FL area for a few weeks in February.

I have an older unlocked 7Plus, model A1784, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_7

Spec indicates GSM, CDMA2000, EV-DO, HSPA+, LTE, LTE Advanced compatibility.

My discount cell phone provider Zoomer Wireless has advised customers that U.S. wind down of 3G network means I cannot roam in the U.S., a real PITA.

My solution or workaround to this is to stop at a U.S. Walmart and purchase a prepaid talk/text/data SIM card to replace my Zoomer Wireless one. I'm assuming I can simply remove my Zoomer SIM, stick in the new SIM and the phone will work.

Yes, your phone will work; the only problem is if you plan to use both provider/sims you will have to use 2 different phone numbers. If you plan to only use the Walmart sim you can go through a process to port your current phone number from Zoomer to a pre-paid provider. There is no way to easily go back and forth with sims/ providers and only use one phone number.

Tom

OP
OP
ReSTored

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Yes, your phone will work; the only problem is if you plan to use both provider/sims you will have to use 2 different phone numbers. If you plan to only use the Walmart sim you can go through a process to port your current phone number from Zoomer to a pre-paid provider. There is no way to easily go back and forth with sims/ providers and only use one phone number.
OK, no issue here as I plan to use a new number, I will not port my existing number to the new SIM card.

Top Bottom