Vacuum canister with check valve

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hi All
I have always felt like a bit of a leech on here by taking everyones great info & not leaving much in return. So here goes on something I found might help you. I just installed the Audiovox cruise control & after riding I noticed on hills it wouldnt hold the speed. (plenty of goat trails here in BC to climb). So I found a few posts here where guys added check valves & some canisters which helped. As a Chrysler tech I remembered in the old days that we used a canister which came with a check valve built inside this was used for the vacuum heater controls. Dodge Part# 4677204. I was glad to see it was still available & ordered it aprox $10. It's size made it easy to install,I just put it in the vacuum line as it came out near the rear of the airbox. The wide side goes to engine vacuum. I tried it out & it works great. Makes for a nice clean install & fits the vacuum lines perfectly. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Do you know yet if the small volume has helped with holding speed?

OP
OP
Optimus
Bike
2006 ST1300
Do you know yet if the small volume has helped with holding speed?
So far so good It will hold the speed. One time it dropped 1 km/hr maybe 2 but really compared to the 10km/hr I dropped before it that's ok. I doubt however on real steep hills if I could accelerate using the cruise but really not a big deal just as long as it keeps the speed I'm happy.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I will have to get one ordered then. One of these days I will get mine installed.
Thanks for letting us all know about this nice compact option.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I ended up making one from PVC. I know some people just put in a bunch of extra vac line and have been fine so I don't think it takes much. The check valve is really there so the bike doesn't have to suck all the air out of it each time the bike is started. If you had a bigger tank without a check valve you may have to ride for a bit before the cruise would work right.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'll bet its the check valve more than the additional vacuum capacity,,, still, an elegant solution. On my 01, I tapped in to the left-side carbs where their vacuum lines join at a T, added a check valve from NAPA right there, and left about 3' extra of vacuum line coiled in the tail area. The stock tool kit fits into the coils so no loss of storage. :D Works a charm (when it works at all. It's not right now, wiring problem. :()

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
That's a nice little do-dad!

On the 1100, there's a nice empty area in the swingarm that I utilized for my vacuum canister storage. Took a piece of 1.5" square tubing, capped it off and plumbed in a fitting. Couple big zip ties holds it in place.

Writeup HERE

LarryC

SToog2
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
That's a nice alternative to what I did.
I recently installed the CCS-100 and made a vacuum canister out of schedule 40 PVC pipe. It nestled nicely behind the right tip-over bars. Didn't have a chance to really use cruise until yesterday but it didn't work. So, when I got STooge back to the garage I opened her up to see what's up.

See photo of what NOT to do! lol
vac-1.jpg

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
That's a nice alternative to what I did.
I recently installed the CCS-100 and made a vacuum canister out of schedule 40 PVC pipe. It nestled nicely behind the right tip-over bars. Didn't have a chance to really use cruise until yesterday but it didn't work. So, when I got STooge back to the garage I opened her up to see what's up.

See photo of what NOT to do! lol
vac-1.jpg
Larry, that's not PVC, it's ABS drain pipe, not nearly as stiff as Schedule 40 PVC.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Another reminder, folks, a vacuum canister is just a reservoir, doesn't need it's own valves 'n such... it can be "T"ed into the vacuum line at any point with just a single port... put yur one-way-valve in the line as close to the engine as practical.

NAPA one-way vacuum valve (this is similar to the Chrysler valve mentioned above)

LarryC

SToog2
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
George, I was a Pipe Fitter for a number of years, it was SC40, I just painted it black. I'm going to try some smaller diameter CPVC, it's a tad more heat resistant. I did find the local Dodge dealer has the vacuum canister for $10 so may go that route. I just hate to spend more $ since I already bought the check valve...

LarryC

SToog2
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
George,it's okay my friend, better to have too much info than not enough. Wish I could remember half of what I've ever learned too. :p:

Top Bottom