Valve adjustment at 18600 ???

Bike
2004 st1300
I have around 18600 miles on my 04 and was wondering if I am doing damage to the engine not checking the valves yet? I want to do the work myself, it will be my first time and it is the middle of summer and don't really want to take the time, at least not yet. What do you think:eek:4: Thanks

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
You won't damage anything if you have a few loose valves and you're likely to hear them if they are. If you have one that is tight on the other hand, you could very well burn the valve. You won't know until you check them.

Judging by one poll that was taken here you have roughly an 80% chance that your valves will not need any adjustment at all. As Dirty Harry would say, "Do you feel lucky punk?!?!" ;)

I feel that the most important valve checks are the first and second ones. The first tells you where you're at and the second tells you if anything is moving on the engine.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
Just checked mine at 54000Kms and a few have loosened a bit but still in spec since the first check at 26K. Shim in bucket is a pretty reliable design and it is a fairly low percentage who have actually performed adjustments. Good job for a rainy afternoon but make sure your beast has sat overnight to cool off before you check the clearances.

Valves tend to tighten as they wear in. You won't notice anything wrong until it's to late. It's a gamble to let it go to long without checking.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I put 55,000 on my 95 VFR without ever pulling the valve covers. STick and ReSTored have each gone well past 100,000 miles without a shim change tho they do checked occasionally.

At 18,000 yur only a little over the recommended miles, but it's time. Only takes a couple hours, do the check after work one evening and ya won't miss any weekend riding time. With luck, you won't need any changes.

Keep us poSTed.

Top Bottom