Valve spring compressor - edit : I used a spark plug socket instead

Bike
ST1100AY
My car valve spring compressor is way to big for the ST1100 so I need to buy something smaller, any suggestions from people who have been down this path

Edit: I decided to use the old fashioned method and put a spark plug socket on a T handle with a magnet(s) inside the socket, the springs are very weak so easy to compress by hand

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Maybe you could borrow one from a local mechanic or dealer.

Bike
R1200rt
OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
I just tried using a spark plug socket and the springs are extremely light so very easy to compress by hand, no need for the compression tool

I did make the mistake of only putting one magnet inside the socket and as a result have temporarily lost one split collet that I had to go hunting for . Once I switched to two magnets (one on each side of the socket) it was a piece of cake !! The technique I used was push the socket in hard and joggle until I heard two distinct clicks (thats BOTH collets hitting the magnets)

As an aside the Stanley Sortmaster is perfect for storing the parts and I used the lid to identify which location the parts are from (i'll go back and bag up each compartment and label the bag as a precaution) ..

IMG_0559.JPG

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I just tried using a spark plug socket and the springs are extremely light so very easy to compress by hand, no need for the compression tool

I did make the mistake of only putting one magnet inside the socket and as a result have temporarily lost one split collet that I had to go hunting for . Once I switched to two magnets (one on each side of the socket) it was a piece of cake !! The technique I used was push the socket in hard and joggle until I heard two distinct clicks (thats BOTH collets hitting the magnets)
That's very clever, don't think I would have thought of that. How did you keep the valve from dropping, so the keeper could release, just hold it closed with your other hand?

I wouldn't have thought you could compress those springs by hand... my last go at that was work on small block Chevy heads, but never on motorcycles.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The technique I used was push the socket in hard and joggle until I heard two distinct clicks (thats BOTH collets hitting the magnets)
LOL , whatever works... :biggrin:
Also shows that you've a clean engine there, cause on a 70ies bike, the carbon deposits will have literally welded those cotters onto the valve stems (there is a trick involving a small block/rod of aluminum and a hammer...)
But I already wonder how you plan to get those cotters back in though...

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
How did you keep the valve from dropping, so the keeper could release, just hold it closed with your other hand?
I actually put the head back on the block to do it, the valves were sticky enough in the guides that they stayed put, the only force was on the spring

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
But I already wonder how you plan to get those cotters back in though...
To re-install I will try the duct tape approach but not sure there is enough of a outward angle on the spring holder to temporarily hold the collets under the tape, it works fine on cars !

For anyone who isn't aware of the duct tape technique its shown at minute 1:03 on this Youtube

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I will try the duct tape approach but not sure there is enough of a trough to temporarily hold the collets under the tape, it works fine on cars !
Did a SOHC CB500/4 head a while back... even with a spring compressor quite a surgery involving tweezers, a tiny flashlight and some fancy language... ;)

Bike
2010 ST1300
Did a SOHC CB500/4 head a while back... even with a spring compressor quite a surgery involving tweezers, a tiny flashlight and some fancy language... ;)
Clearly it was the language that did the trick. Perhaps you could record it, sell it on Amazon, make a fortune and retire in a manner to which you would like to become accustomed.

Top Bottom