Varadero owners? Looking for opinions.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I am looking for a “do it all” kind of bike that can do decent gravel and fire roads, but can also keep up on the pavement. I know there are compromises. The bike I was using for “adventure touring” was a 2007 V-storm 650 which unfortunately totalled this summer when a riderless, spinning BMW motorcycle came spinning from the oncoming lane into mine, which I hit.

At 475lbs the V-storm 650 was pretty good on decent gravel and dirt roads, but was lacking in the power department and I was never a fan of the brakes. I don’t ever plan to do any really adventurous gravel/dirt/off-road, but I do like the optionality of having a bike that can handle it better than my ST1300 (which I have driven on a surprising amount of gravel).

There have been a few Varadero 1000’s come up for sale this fall, and I am possibly going to look at a 2009 that is completely tricked out for adventure and has only 20,000 km on the clock. For those that have owned one, could this be a decent jack-of-all-trades bike? I am concerned that at 600lbs its a lot of bike, should I be?. I do all my own maintenance, are there any issues there?

There are a few reviews out there that are quite complimentary, but the bike never sold well or found a following.

My usage would be 100% touring, 0% commuting and no city driving except as necessary while on tour.

For anyone who has owned one, please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Bike
Vstrom 650
The Varadero is a top heavy thirsty brute, it has combined brakes too which aren't good on those gravel and dirt roads, maybe a vstrom 1000 would suit you better, the more modern ones are even better (2014 on) if you can find one in your price range.

Top Bottom