VFR1200 - Teething Problems

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
As my Dad once said to me... "If it has to go to a dealership to have major bodywork, frame, engine, or transmission work done to it... it'll never be the same."

To this day, I am still a firm believer of this! ;)

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
As my Dad once said to me... "If it has to go to a dealership to have major bodywork, frame, engine, or transmission work done to it... it'll never be the same."

To this day, I am still a firm believer of this! ;)
+1

On the other hand they are changing the complete engine. Good on them. I would not want a new bike or any other vehicle that had major engine work done.

Bike
ST1300
hey when I bought my 08st the dealer did not know what one was, dont feel bad you are not alone, he did order me one though, bet they dont have a service manual either, most are real good at oil tires and adjusting chains

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Wow outsourcing for parts , hmm where does that sound familiar
It sounds very familiar. Every auto and motorcycle manufacturer on the planet has outsourced large numbers of parts for decades.

People talk about outsourcing like it's some kind of horrible thing. It can be when it's done on the cheap, and most time the result is worth what was paid.

If Honda would let us see the records on it, I'd bet at least half the parts on your ST are outsourced. The entire fuel system, brakes, suspension, wheels and most of the electrical system are all made by third parties. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the crank, cams, pistons, rods, engine block, radiator and the seat are, too. Honda buys the fuel systems for a lot of its bikes (and probably some of its cars) from Keihin because Keihin's awfully good at making them. They achieve economies of scale in R&D and manufacturing that would drive the price of the bike through the roof if Honda tried to do all of that in house for every part they needed.

--Mark

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
One of the first "out-source" jobs I'm aware of was the very first Pointiac GTOs fitted with 3-speed Ford trannys.

Top Bottom