Vibrating Givi Monokey top box

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Guys: I have a 2009 St1300A, which had a Givi top box thrown in as part of the deal when I bought the bike. The top box locks onto a Givi plate, which in turn is held to an adapter plate by two Allen screws and nuts. The adapter plate is held on to the luggage rack of the bike by four Allen crews and nuts. My problem is that the top box vibrates. The movement seems to be between the Givi plate and the adapter plate, as the top box quite positively locks onto the Givi plate. The vibration means my SO refuses to ride any significant distance with the top box installed as it is vibrating against the armour of her jacket. If I am riding solo, I can reach round and feel the box vibrating, and I guess it would annoy me too.
Any ideas how to stop this vibration? Is it normal?

Last edited:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Check and see if the rubber bumpers on the givi plate are missing. Should be four little round ones.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
My Givi V46 did the same thing, even with the four rubber bumpers. My solution was to stick four small pieces of camping pad foam in the four corners, and that locked it in.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I found that 2 attachment bolts for the locking plate to the base plate were not enough. I added more at the corners and that made the whole setup more rigid. My mounting plate was actually cracked from the movement. My solution.

Kevin

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Mine rattled quite badly, the rubber pads did nothing.. I got four rubber stoppers at Ace Hardware. I don't remember the size but the large end could be twisted into the place where the original pads are. I kept sanding the small end off until the box would fit. It's a nice snug fit as it requires some pressure to get it to snap into place. I used a bench belt sander. Hold on tight or you will be looking for them.

OP
OP
Snave
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Check and see if the rubber bumpers on the givi plate are missing. Should be four little round ones.
Yes, have them. The vibration seems to between the Givi plate and the adaptor plate, these bumpers are between the top box and the Givi plate I'm guessing.

My Givi V46 did the same thing, even with the four rubber bumpers. My solution was to stick four small pieces of camping pad foam in the four corners, and that locked it in.
Hmmm - between the Givi plate and the adapter? Would you have some pictures please? How rigid is camping pad foam?

I found that 2 attachment bolts for the locking plate to the base plate were not enough. I added more at the corners and that made the whole setup more rigid. My mounting plate was actually cracked from the movement. My solution. Kevin
Now this sounds like the solution. Kevin, can you give me some pictures please?

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
"Hmmm - between the Givi plate and the adapter? Would you have some pictures please? How rigid is camping pad foam?"

The camping pad pieces are two-faced taped to the top of the plate, then the box snaps in place on top of them.

Last edited:

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Here pictures of the added screw locations that I did to my Give base to ST.

IMG_1895 (Large).JPG

You can see how much of the adapter plate broke out from the vibration I was having in the picture bellow. I had to put a large washer to span the gap.

IMG_1897 (Large).JPG

OP
OP
Snave
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Here pictures of the added screw locations that I did to my Give base to ST.

IMG_1895 (Large).JPG

You can see how much of the adapter plate broke out from the vibration I was having in the picture bellow. I had to put a large washer to span the gap.

IMG_1897 (Large).JPG
Thanks all!!! I put in two screws as Kevin has here (drilling into soft aluminium, and steel below, trying to line the holes up - eeeek!) and Mrs Snave and I are off on a long ride tomorrow, to Lake Placid, NY. Well, long for us, an afternoon stroll for some of you guys. I'll report back how happy she was on my return.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I cut up a couple of old bicycle tubes and used them folded over when I mounted mine to my Connie as I was having the same problem.

Thanks all!!! I put in two screws as Kevin has here (drilling into soft aluminium, and steel below, trying to line the holes up - eeeek!) and Mrs Snave and I are off on a long ride tomorrow, to Lake Placid, NY. Well, long for us, an afternoon stroll for some of you guys. I'll report back how happy she was on my return.
You never reported back, did it solve it?

Top Bottom