Visiting Seattle area

Hey
My wife and I are planning a trip this September to the Seattle area. Neither of us have been to this city
I am hoping to rent a car ( no bike this trip) and drive around Olympic National Park, and maybe some other sites too.
We have a week, any suggestions of what to see? What to do ?
Places to stay? All suggestion are welcome, thanks
In advance J

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Unless you really like big city stuff....don't stay in the city. Lots of homeless and pan handlers. Nothing wrong with these folks...they just rather mooch than work. Just my observations.
It is nice out on the Peninsula, just stay out there and do the park and the beaches. Port Townsend is nice, Squim is nice and sunny.
If you want to stay in the city, stay to the north end or the east side by Bellevue. Better areas.
Todd

Bike
2014 ST1300
It's cliche but book a meal at the Space Needle. I've been to Seattle a couple times and have gone each time. Not cheap but it's a pretty cool atmosphere and the views are pretty spectacular on a sunny day.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ferry rides are fun too. I like to find a longer one and have a hot dog and a coke on the top deck... YCEMV (your Covid experience may vary)

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
If your into sports, the Seahawks and Mariners are certainly good to see. Going out to the coast on the 101 for a day trip around Port Angeles and Astoria is gorgeous, even in a cage I would think. But that's a long day so perhaps a stay away from the city for a night. There is the Museum of Flight south of Seattle that is awesome if your into aircraft, history and space. Also the Boeing Factory north of Seattle is the Boeing Future of Flight. Awesome things to see around that area. @MV_Dave is the local expert..

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
+1 on both the Museum of Flight and the Boeing tour. The Museum has (had?) a Concorde.
The Concorde is there outside. I was aware of its last flight when it was coming into Seattle. I have a friend working ATC high traffic and he called me stating that the Concorde would be directly overhead my location in 5 minutes. This was Grande Prairie Alberta was where I was at, and he said the Concorde had "slowed" down to 600 knots. I went outside, and nothing more awesome than the outline of that magnificent bird, and the sound like no other of those elephant engines! Sorry for off topic, but what a memory! That was November 2003.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
The Concord was based in Moses Lake, my home town, for testing before it was released to fly passengers. Saw it many times roaring overhead with lots of exhaust smoke, nose tilted down. I think it was about 75 ,76 or so.

Back to Seattle, there is another great aircraft museum at Payne field in Everett. Working WW2 planes.
T

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Seattle has all the big city amenities like sports events, arts and culture, museums, shopping, etc. It also is a gateway to tons of outdoor activities. Ocean beaches, a rain forest, mountains, deserts are within a couple hours drive. All of the above are good suggestions. I would add day trips to Leavenworth and/or drive the North Cascades highway (Hiway 20). Also there are sightseeing seaplane rides out of Lake Union (Kenmore Air). Mount Rainier and Mt. St Helens are a couple hours drive. Of course we are expecting a bad wildfire season so outdoor activities may be impacted.

The Museum of Flight is great for aviation buffs. In addition to a Concorde, they have an SR-71 (technically an A-12), Air Force One, the first 747, every significant WWII airplane, a nice collection of space artifacts including a full size shuttle mockup. The Boeing Everett tour is impressive although not as cool as it used to be as they are shutting down the 747 and 787 assembly lines.

There are tons of good restaurants, wineries and breweries so you won't go hungry or thirsty. Most are emerging post-Covid and September should be fine. Traffic sucks so plan around rush hour.

Any other questions, let us know.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I'll be in Seattle again for surgery in Sept and will visit the Museum of Flight this time. I went to the Hydroplane Museum last time I was there. I used to work with a fellow that drove them, and went to a few races, so had seen them in action and in the pits. One person there knew him and gave us a guided and very informative tour.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I've lived in Seattle my whole life. It's a great city and a fun place to visit. It's got some rough edges, but what big city doesn't.

A trip to the Olympic Peninsula is well worth the time, especially this time of the year. Sequim has a lavender festival that's pretty cool and it's a fun small city to visit. Hurricane Ridge is close by and a nice place to stop and enjoy the views.

If you enjoy fish and chips, head for West Seattle (a bit of a challenge with the bridge closure) and check out Seattle Fish. They also have a street fair on Sundays that's kind of cool. Alki Beach is busy on the weekend and frequent beach volleyball tournaments.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I've lived in Seattle my whole life. It's a great city and a fun place to visit. It's got some rough edges, but what big city doesn't.

A trip to the Olympic Peninsula is well worth the time, especially this time of the year. Sequim has a lavender festival that's pretty cool and it's a fun small city to visit. Hurricane Ridge is close by and a nice place to stop and enjoy the views.

If you enjoy fish and chips, head for West Seattle (a bit of a challenge with the bridge closure) and check out Seattle Fish. They also have a street fair on Sundays that's kind of cool. Alki Beach is busy on the weekend and frequent beach volleyball tournaments.
Is there camping near neah bay? Im heading that way too.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Is there camping near neah bay? Im heading that way too.
Yes but booked out check the sites for availability. There’s a KOA up by port angeles

Scooter01 - do the needle and a couple of the big city visits but definitely take a ferry ride out of town to port orchard or port Townsend. Quaint cities , then go north through sequin and port angeles along the the straight. Good food and stops all along that way. Might even find accommodations up that way. The ferry experience is great for out of towners - the roads are good and traffic moderate. The weather this year just wonderful. For those coming out on bikes I am on the RAN list if needed. Hey we may see ya out there!

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Yes but booked out check the sites for availability. There’s a KOA up by port angeles

Scooter01 - do the needle and a couple of the big city visits but definitely take a ferry ride out of town to port orchard or port Townsend. Quaint cities , then go north through sequin and port angeles along the the straight. Good food and stops all along that way. Might even find accommodations up that way. The ferry experience is great for out of towners - the roads are good and traffic moderate. The weather this year just wonderful. For those coming out on bikes I am on the RAN list if needed. Hey we may see ya out there!
Thank you

Top Bottom