Vista Cruise Install

Hi All,

I wanted to share my recent installation of the vista cruise throttle lock. I should have looked more closely to the previous posts here, as I would have gotten some better ideas, but I didn't, so I ended up re-inventing the wheel a bit. Anyway, here you go:

1. I got the Vista Cruise Control for motorcycles from Amazon (photo attached).
  2. Like others have mentioned, you need file the inside of the throttle lock to fit around throttle tube. It seems the throttle tube on the ST is larger than 7/8s. Only a slight sanding was needed. Be careful and test it multiple times.
  3. I chose to keep the retaining foot intact and instead drilled and tapped a 6mm hole on the bottom of the throttle housing (see photo)
  4. I had to "pull" the throttle grip slightly off (not completely off) so there was enough room between the throttle housing, throttle lock, throttle lock washer, and grip flange (in the photo you'll see I also trimmed the flange, but it was not necessary. I could have left that alone).
  5. The additional width of the throttle lock pushes the throttle tube enough that when you re-install the bar-end, it binds. So I just cut off the lip at the end of the grip.

I used this throttle lock on my previous bike, an SW-T400 and I loved it. Though on that bike it was much less involved to get it installed.

I hope it is useful to someone and good luck.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The NEP throttle lock I installed on my Nighthawk 750 before I installed a Rostra electronic cruise control is similar in function, but probably cheaper and easier to install:

Bike
04 ST1300
I have experimented with a lot of throttle locks, vista, NEP, atlas. But found Go cruise to be the best. It is the cheapest, least complicated, easiest to install and can be easily operated if speed needs to be reduced suddenly.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I wanted to share my recent installation of the vista cruise throttle lock.
Had I seen this way back when I would have gone this route probably. Instead I went with a Go-Cruise and am happy with it.

Is that a VSM type ribbon or just a coincidence?

OP
OP
97rr
Had I seen this way back when I would have gone this route probably. Instead I went with a Go-Cruise and am happy with it.

Is that a VSM type ribbon or just a coincidence?
Coincidence on the ribbon. I got that in Spain on a bike I bought there. It’s the Catalunya flag colors. I liked it so I left it on. When we moved back I brought it with me and there it is :)

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
When I modified my Vista I just added a small piece of black abs drain pipe glued to the tab that is suppose to go between the throttle cables. That price fit perfectly to the bottom of the throttle housing and keeps it stationary.
I have had the same throttle lock since my CB900 over 30 years ago, been on about 4 bikes over the years, and it still works great. Not a bad investment...
ToddC

Top Bottom