Waterproof RAM holders

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Given my bike came with a large RAM ball on the dash, and when the weather lets up a little after Christmas, I'll fit the Helibars riser, giving me another RAM ball... its time to look at options for a waterproof phone holder.

Basically, given the amount it rains here, I'm looking at marine grade waterproofing (if it survives being submerged 30ft under, my phone might just about stay dry while I'm commuting...). I'm really not bothered about being able to use the phone while it's in the holder... for one I'd prefer to keep my hands on the bike controls, but also, the Cardo & voice control works just dandy for everything I'd want to do while on the move.

My plan for now is to run a camera on the dash, looking through the windscreen, and my phone on the riser ball.

A little searching has shown me the RAM Aqua box... which looks interesting. Additionally, they've thought about routing the cables through the case without affecting the waterproofing, so I can run a charge cable to the 12v socket on the dash too. Has anyone here tried one? Any thoughts on alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I have, but have never actually used, the Aqua Box. My original intent was to put my old Garmin into it but that plan didn't pan out and I've never bothered trying it out with my phone.

The box is rugged, includes a big foam pad that serves as a "backing" and filler around whatever device you're going to put in it, and also as fitment to keep the device from jostling about. (Note that a "naked" phone still slips, slides, and slithers about in the case, based on a test I just completed using an older phone now retired and gathering dust on my desk. Additional foam thickness, or phone case, will be needed to hold it snugly. Once I stuck the test phone back in its case and tried again it didn't seem to want to roam about as much though it does still move with time.)

The front is a soft, flexible plastic piece that has a raised rim, which fits into a groove on the underside of the cover frame to provide the seal. When the cover is closed, the frame presses the back side of the transparent plastic down onto a ridge around the edge of the case, providing what should be a reasonable seal. The closure is a 4" long hinged plastic "L", that snaps firmly into place and holds the lid secure and helps enforce the seal.

You can route a cable into the box through a spot on the back, which closes up snugly once you attach the RAM ball mount. The plate on the base of the ball holds the cable firmly and helps seal around it. However, if your phone accepts its cable at an end, as opposed to on a side, there may be a space issue between the end of the phone and the side of the case- the plug would be a very tight fit and you'd have to bend the cable quite sharply. Does anyone make a cable where the connector is on a "L" rather than straight out along the axis of the cable length? That might be a solution.

Good luck, and keep that phone DRY.

Zaphod

“Vell, Zaphod’s just zis guy, you know?”
Bike
2016 Goldwing F6B
STOC #
I’m a Yottie with a few sea miles ‘neath my keel.

I addressed this situation on my sailboat using a combination of LifeProof cases and various Ram mounts. After several thousand miles of sea time with both iPhones and iPads exposed to the weather at the helm, they’re all working just fine.

Photo shows a crew member using my iPad mini in a LifeProof case mounted with a Ram mount on the binnacle at the helm. Position was approximately sixty nautical miles east of Boston, MA.

3DF5C272-AEBE-488B-ADF1-EC1699B38CD0.jpeg

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Got it, yacht stuff. It was capitalized, so it threw me a little.

Well shitfire, another busted bubble. I have always wanted to sail, but I thought that would make me a" sailor". A "yottie" doesnt sound near as cool....

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I have always wanted to sail, but I thought that would make me a" sailor
How about salt, tar, gob, swab, swabbie, deckhand, or mariner? Any of those options appeal more than yottie (which, amusingly, the autoincorrect tried to change to "hottie", synonyms for which would take this thread in a whole different direction).

Bike
VStrom 650
You allow the population to move West, provide them safe passage and they repay you by misusing the Queens own English, if we must talk about bobbing up and down in a bath tub, can we please use the term "yachties".
One is not amused :biggrin:.
Upt'North.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A yachtsman. Capital!

Upt' North said:
You allow the population to move West, provide them safe passage and they repay you by misusing the Queens own English,
The things you can do when you're not subjects of the Crown. :p

Top Bottom