Wear Earplugs!

Bike
2019 BMW K1600GT
I never ride without wearing either foam or custom ear plugs but beware that in some states, Cali being one of them ear plugs in both ears are illegal. So if you get stopped try to loose at least one with out being noticed. Though many LEO's don't push the law.

Wearing of Headsets or Earplugs

27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle
may not wear a headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears.

Last edited:
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I don't think I can remove the speakers. They are hard wired to the connecting plug along with the mic cable. The mic is connected to the speakers via quick disconnect cable but w/o the speakers in the helmet, there's no way to connect the mic to the comm system.
What kind of comm system? Autocom has a cord that has the connection to the earbuds....and the DIN connector still runs the helmet speakers if you want or need to use them as well.

Forest

Bike
2005 ST1300
Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
I never ride without wearing either foam or custom ear plugs but beware that in some states, Cali being one of them ear plugs in both ears are illegal. So if you get stopped try to loose at least one with out being noticed. Though many LEO's don't push the law.

Wearing of Headsets or Earplugs

27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle
may not wear a headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears.
LOL, Mr Slayer, speeding is illegal too ya know :cool:

A couple of folks posted that the foam ear plugs don't work or fall out. I have that problem and the foam plugs are usually useless if I don't wet the inside of my ears first. Apparently that acts as a lubricant that allows the foam to expand freely and get a good seal. If I do that they are all day comfortable and work great as long as I don't ram them in too far.

I wet my ears with the er6i earplugs also since they seem to insert easier and are less apt to hurt.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I picked up a set at the hardware store last time I was there. Not used them on the bike yet, but I did when I mowed the yard last time. They made a big difference!

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I have been riding with earplugs for the last 25 years. Unfortunately, I did not wear them for the first 10 years that I rode. There is no question in my mind that I suffered a noticeable degree of hearing loss during the time I did not wear them. After trying many styles of earplugs over the years, I discovered the Howard Leight Max UF Foam Plugs (NRR 33) a number of years ago and have found that they are the only plugs that don't hurt my ears after many hours of riding. I strongly encourage anyone that does not wear earplugs to start wearing them. In my opinion it is a no-brainer. :D

STOC #
I wear earplugs on long rides.

I sometimes wear earbuds to listen to music in my helmet, this is much louder than the wind noise.

Top Bottom