Weeping hole leak

Hello Im new here. I bought a st1300 about a year ago with 32000 miles. It had a small leak develop as it was warming up. Now it just leaks non stop when parked. Im in the process of doing the water pump. I actually bought a haynes manual that should be arriving soon. Anyways, what are the parts I will need for the job. I have bought the following

IMPELLER, WATER PUMP
Part Number: 609630, 19210-MCS-000
SEAL, MECHANICAL
Part Number: 609657, 19217-MAL-300
GASKET, WATER PUMP
Part Number: 609813, 19226-MCS-A10
OIL SEAL (12X22X5)
Part Number: 729679, 91201-965-000
BEARING, RADIAL BALL (6200)
Part Number: 740211, 96100-62003-00

I believe I still need the right side clutch cover
which is

Honda GASKET, FR. CRANKCASE COVER Part # 11394-MCS-010
I read somewhere there might be two o rings somewhere inside the clutch cover?

Bike
2010 ST1300
The absolute, hands down, best accessory you can buy for your bike is a Honda Shop Manual.

I assume you have looked at the parts fiche's for your bike? Check out Ron Ayers website for the fiche's. There are other vendors of course, that you can find with a search for Honda Motorcycle Parts.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, the two o-rings are at the top of the case! The large holes in the picture. Sometimes you also need to replace the collars.

DSC03719-s.jpg

#s 4 & 8 in the following diagram.

You might want to pick up the #s 12 too.

Frontcover.jpg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Before you start throwing parts and money at your bike, have you verified that its not just loose hose clamps up in the V?
Loose clamps, or damaged hoses, will leak fluid into the V, out the front drain hole (behind the water pump cover) then follow the ledge down, and exit at the square hole near the bottom of the right radiator hose etc.
This is very common on bikes that have not been serviced regularly.
A true water pump failure, will pulse a drop of coolant out the ROUND hole every second, while the engine is running etc.
If the coolant is coming out the square opening, its either damaged hoses, o-rings, or loose clamps.
You should also check the water pump cover o-ring to see if that is allowing coolant to slip by it, and run down the ledge as well.
Standing by the white courtesy phone if needed.
:WCP1:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello, and welcome to our forum community.

Here's a post with some pictures that might be helpful to you: ST1300 - Water Pump Weep Holes.

Also, here's some information about how our forum is organized - there is a wealth of information here, and it is helpful to know how to find it. If you look in the upper left corner of the screen, you will see a header entitled "Forums". Clicking on that reveals a drop-down menu. If you scroll down that menu, you will see an entry called "ST 1300 Articles". That sub-forum contains a collection of some of the best technical posts available.

Just below that, you will see an an entry called "ST 1300 Tech", and below that, sub-categories such as thermostats, leaks, etc. (your post - this post - is in the 'Leaks' category). If you skim through the subject titles in the appropriate sub-category, you might find additional useful information to help you in your project.

Michael

OP
OP
Yes, the two o-rings are at the top of the case! The large holes in the picture. Sometimes you also need to replace the collars.

#s 4 & 8 in the following diagram.

You might want to pick up the #s 12 too.
Thanks for this. Yeah I took the cover off and saw what you mentioned. Looks like i'll replace those too since they look a little rough.

Before you start throwing parts and money at your bike, have you verified that its not just loose hose clamps up in the V?
Loose clamps, or damaged hoses, will leak fluid into the V, out the front drain hole (behind the water pump cover) then follow the ledge down, and exit at the square hole near the bottom of the right radiator hose etc.
This is very common on bikes that have not been serviced regularly.
A true water pump failure, will pulse a drop of coolant out the ROUND hole every second, while the engine is running etc.
If the coolant is coming out the square opening, its either damaged hoses, o-rings, or loose clamps.
You should also check the water pump cover o-ring to see if that is allowing coolant to slip by it, and run down the ledge as well.
Standing by the white courtesy phone if needed.
:WCP1:
Yeah Im sure its a water pump housing inside from the round hole. I traced the square hole all the way to the top and it was dry. I also cleaned the area with brake cleaner and watched the coolant leak from the round hole.

Looks like its time to spend the time cleaning the old gasket off lol. Im gonna wait for the shop manual too for torque specs etc. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I just did that job. Time consuming but simple. You'll probably want to replace the clutch while you're in there just because it's such a big job to get to that place. I did oem clutch with Barnett springs. At 43k, the springs were out of specs and the clutch plates were only .3mm left. I would replace both the o-rings and pipes for the upper coolant passages. Oh, and de-link your brakes while you're there. :beatdeadhorse: :bannana:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Another new guy here... just a quick thanks for the great information on this thread. Applicable for my '04.
Hi Scott:

Welcome to our forum community!

When you have some time to spare, grab a coffee and have a browse through the sub-forum "ST 1300 Articles" - that is a collection of some of the best and most useful posts made over the past 10+ years.

Michael

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Is it normal on this bike for the clutch to be replaced so early. I know a lot depends upon the riding style, but 43K is way too early.
I bought the bike used and have no idea how it was used. I suspect the most recent prior owner was a nub who may have ground it down during average start-stop city riding.

Another member I recently met with confirmed 100k on his stock clutch. I don't know his riding mannerisms but I believe him without question.

If I had to take the front cover off again in 10k miles, I might change out at least the springs, since weak springs kill a clutch quick and, for the price, there's no reason not to. But changing out a clutch at its estimated half life so it need not be done again for 50-100k more miles is $300 well spent in my book. YMMV

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I think that the life expectancy of a motorcycle clutch is dependent on several different variables: whether the correct specification engine oil is used, whether the moto is used for city or long distance riding, and rider technique.

I'm still on the original clutch in my 2001 ST 1100, which is now approaching 150,000 miles. All long distance riding, regular oil changes with motorcycle specific oil, and whatever technique (good or bad) it is that I use.

Michael

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
As noted, pay special attention to removal of front cover.Some use a straight edge to keep pump sprocket in place.Ask me how l didn’t know! Chain & sprocket fell off.No patience for that contortionistic stuff. Pulled the clutch,& attached chain.

l think it is a lot easier on my VStom. What was Honda Thinking?

Top Bottom