Well, it had to happen one day

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
In chronological order makes sense I guess...

Left home this morning for the commute, got about 5 miles down the road & realised I'd forgotten my wallet. Needing fuel on the commute, no option but to turn around & go get it. A minor inconvenience, though irritating. Slightly more irritating was that it took me 10mins to find it at home since the wife had put it "safe" over the weekend.

On the commute, nothing really more than the usual dozy cage drivers trying to kill me. That, combined with the weather (30secs bright sunshine - so bright I had to use the sun visor, 30secs heavy rain & dark cloud... repeat for 1 hour). This kind of set the tone for the day really, and on the "recommendation" of AV8R a helmet cam will be arriving at my office today. (read: I've been looking for one for a while, I knew he used one, so I dug out his posts using search to get the make/model & did some confirmatory research).

Got to the office, didn't have my RFID access card handy, had to pull over & switch off to dig it out of a pocket. Another minor inconvenience. Pulled up on the bike next to a nice looking Triumph, and figured that as I put the bike on the side stand, my mirrors would hit his, so rolled back a few inches. Then learned some lessons.
  1. Failure to put the side stand down results in the tip over sensor working flawlessly. Excessive profanity in the moment does not stop the bike falling over. Oops.
  2. Those rear tip over bars I bought from @sirbike work wonders to protect the panniers.
  3. The 13 is remarkably easy to pick up! It fell on its left side (gear lever side), and I very nearly flipped it to the other side.
  4. When mornings start like this - go home. It's only going to get worse.
Thankfully, no visible damage to the bike (or to the Triumph I'm parked next to), save for a minor scuff mark on the front tip over bar plastic cover. Though I bet the chap sitting in the service van had a good chuckle to himself.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Welcome to the tip over club.
This is certainly the kind of day that one needs to go to a nice sandy beach with lots of sunshine and drink loads of cold beverages of your choice.
Hope your day turns around.

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Life really needs a Do Over or a Reset button, doesn't it? Sorry you joined the club but glad the outcome was what it was.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
It has to be said....Sorry you couldn't keep it up! :rolleyes:

Even I, dropped one of my bikes awhile ago....so it does happen to us all, sooner or later! :eek:

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
The silver lining here is that I've had a farkle idea.

When the side stand is up AND the bike is in neutral, flashing LED and buzzer... easy enough to wire up. I would wire to the hazard light switch instead of a dash mounted LED, but I like to put the bike in neutral at traffic lights, and folk would look at me like I was daft if I had hazards flashing while stopped (or rolling to a stop) at traffic lights.

A project for a lazy & rainy day methinks.

Top Bottom