What do you think.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
This reminds me of a story. Back in 1980 I had a Suzuki RE5 rotary engine motorcycle. I was just out of town when the primary drive chain tensioner broke and it broke the primary chain from the engine to transmission. Obviously I was stuck on the side of the road contemplating what to do. I was about 5 miles from home. A thought came to me, the starter drove the clutch assembly through a sprague clutch. The RE5's have a huge battery to provide enough amps to turn over the rotary engine that has a lot of compression. I realized that I could hold the starter button on, engage 1st gear and use the clutch to get moving. It worked! I was able to shift up to 3rd gear and go almost 20mph just on the electric starter. I was able to ride home just on battery power. I did not know at the time that I was ahead of my time.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I accept it don't go fast. I accept it don't go far. But nice though.
It is nice. Throw some soft luggage on it and "it's just perfect" for running around town errands. Clean design with great pipes though I would have liked to have seen it done to a nicer looking motor. Maybe the mufflers could be hollowed out and have speakers installed for some "vroom vroooom". Belt drive would have been nice. Call it the KW250e.

TPadden

Tom Padden
This reminds me of a story. Back in 1980 I had a Suzuki RE5 rotary engine motorcycle.
Not only is Mazda supposedly reincarnating the rotary for a Hybrid, but there is also a much improved one out there ...:thumb:

Tom

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
This reminds me of a story.
Your story reminds me of this story:

My first car was a '65 Corvair Corsa, 140hp engine, 4sp transmission, and a cable clutch. One evening, the cable broke at the pedal.

I made it home by turning it off when I had to stop, and starting it in first gear. I was already used to shifting it without the clutch.

Hey, way cool, my third bike was a 1972 CL 450. When I was in high school it was the biggest bike there. (first bike of course was honda 90) How many stared on those? Almost worth a new thread, memories of Honda 90s

Bike
R1200rt
Makes me wonder what happened to the feller on here that was working on making an ST an 'electric'.
that was never going to happen. To do it the way he thought, using the st trans and clutch system, would take a lot of complicated fabrcation.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
that was never going to happen. To do it the way he thought, using the st trans and clutch system, would take a lot of complicated fabrcation.
I thought that a ST1100 would have made a better 'starting' place given how the transmission is one piece and separates pretty easily.

Bike
R1200rt
I thought that a ST1100 would have made a better 'starting' place given how the transmission is one piece and separates pretty easily.
The clutch, clutch gears in front, trans gears in back are bathe in engine oil. I can't see how to put an electric motor between them and still lubricate that stuff. Besides I think electric bikes doesn't need a transmission or clutch, to the best of my limited knowledge.

Top Bottom