What gauge wire to use for heated grips

Bike
03 ST1300
Hi

Sorry for this questions but I'm a newbie (and idiot) when it comes to all things electrical.

I'm going to install some heated grips and I have to do a bit of length extension so I need to to buy some wire for that extension.

What gauge should I be using for this?

Thanks in advance!

Bike
2010 ST1300
It really depends on the fuse protecting that circuit. If you use the quartet harness to power the heated grips, go with the same wire size. I think it is probably in the 16 awg range but I'm not sure. And I seem to remember that the fuse size for this is 5 amps (but again, I'm not sure). If you run a new circuit from an aux. fuse panel in the rear (say under the pillion seat) and use a 15 amp fuse, then you are in the 14 awg wire size. I'd suggest wire that is rated for 90 deg C or even 105, with oil and gas resistant insulation. You can get this at auto parts stores and/or online.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi

Sorry for this questions but I'm a newbie (and idiot) when it comes to all things electrical.

I'm going to install some heated grips and I have to do a bit of length extension so I need to to buy some wire for that extension.

Thanks in advance!
What are you needing to extend? Power supply, grip to switch, ground? Honda accessory or aftermarket?

Wire size depends on amps and length of wire run.

If in doubt just use the biggest gauge wire that is practicle, does not matter if you use a 30 amp wire for a 5 amp appliance , as long as the fuse is correct then. the fuse should always be the weakest link in the chain .

in house electrics we often up spec the cable but retain the the same fuse .

OP
OP
GSMetal
Bike
03 ST1300
So the Oxford grips are presently using a 5 amp fuse if you wire it directly to the battery. However, I want to wire it to my Fuze Block. So, since I don't know anything about any of this, would I use a 14 gauge wire and still utilize the the 5 amp fuse in the fuse block?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, that would work. Is this on an ST1300 or canbus BMW?

14 gauge wire can run up to 15 amps ( google ) , so as long as the 5 amp fuse is protecting just this circuit then you are good. If you have more than one accessory going into that 5amp fuse then you will need a re think

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here's a link without the browser info: http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/newsletter/images/DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg

Here's something else pretty cool from bluesea: http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/# Plug in values for VDC A and length of wire and it will give recommendations for the gauge to use.

There's also free apps for iOS and Android:

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=576865083&mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bluesea.android.circuitwizard

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Fuse block circuit.jpg
Hi

Thanks in advance!
16ga is plenty big for that one application. Run it from a relay controlled fuse block as pictured. Watts/12v=amps, fuse accordingly.

Top Bottom