What Grease To Use ... ST1100 turn signal switch

Bike
2010 ST1300
Hi Phil, Happy New Year. I'd use anything I had around, though leaning toward a waterproof grease. I don't remember any rubber parts in there so using a silicone grease (dielectric) would not be mandatory. Use it sparingly, though from reports here of guys spraying in WD-40, I don't think it is critical.

Stay away from M**y grease or paste....we don't want another of those threads here:rofl1:

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
I remember my turn signal being a bit "wonky" a few years back. I didn't open it so I didn't think about the grease. I sprayed some electrical contact cleaner and that seemed do the trick. No problems since and I've driven through torrential downpours. I'm planning on installing the self-cancelling ST2 System soon, so maybe I should re-visit this just in case. How about dielectric grease?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, dielectric grease. There are electrical contacts in there that the plunger moves. WD-40 will cause eventual issues with those contacts.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
emphasis on waterproof... BelRay Marine Lube worked fine, doesn't seem to damage plastic, if it doubts use silicone grease...
And then a drop of ACF-50 on each and every alloy contact surface...

Did that a couple of years ago, no issues since...
(same procedure in 2020 on my GF's '07 NT700VA, also there no issues since despite she's riding Feb to Nov/Dec and frequently leaving it parked outside in the elements...)

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Dielectric Grease. It is made for electrical contacts like this. You can get a small tube at any Autoparts store. Just pull the switch apart and clean out the old stuff. Be careful. There should be a small ball bearing and spring in there. Make sure you do not loose it! I have cleaned out several of these switches on Hondas over the years. After cleaning out the old stuff and putting in new Dielectric grease, they are smooth as butter. Spray lubes and cleaners will only work for maybe a year. WD 40 is the worst thing for these switches. The old grease needs to come out. After you do the service, you should be good to go for another 15 to 20 years of use.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
When I had my ST's I used brake cleaner to clean out the switches and ACF50 to re-protect, I also had some ACF50 Dielectric grease but preferred to just spray the switches with the liquid ACF50 at services.....

Bike
VStrom 650
Remember, Dielectric Grease will not allow the electrons to pass. It's fine to seal connectors but it will not allow those little troublesome electrons to pass through itself.
Upt.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Remember, Dielectric Grease will not allow the electrons to pass. It's fine to seal connectors but it will not allow those little troublesome electrons to pass through itself.
Upt.
Can't be too free with the facts. But Phil was asking about the plunger, not the contact surfaces (and he knows all about dielectric grease).

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Squirt of chain grease out of a can...
I haven't owned chain grease since my '02 F-650GS days. How about some axle grease? ;)

My old riding buddy did the take it apart, lose parts, try to make it work, wait for parts routine. He worked on it several evenings trying to "rig" it. I saw a switch pod on ebay. $20 covered the whole switch pod including shipping. It showed up his house, unannounced. It was pretty much a 20 minute plug and play for him.

I've used WD 40 for the last 25 years. Red straw in the switch opening and soak it. Never a problem. I use it on both left and right switch pods when the switches get stiff or are slow to move. Usually every couple years. 10-15 minute fix.

I guess I'm lucky my hair hasn't caught fire. Yet. :eek:

sitting in the bottom of the old guys tool box is small tubes of distributer points grease, find a old guy and ask for it. Until then take a acid or paint brush and coat the switch lightly with dielectric grease. I usually smear some of the grease from the edges of the contacts back onto the center of the contacts

Top Bottom