What kind of tire patch cement do you use?

Bike
2010 ST1300
New riding season is beginning so I started looking on Amazon for tire patch cement - I replace the tubes every year since even sealed tubes do dry out and when you need the glue, the tube is empty. I found these which are similar to what I've carried in the past (used one once). In fact, these little yellow tubes are what I've always carried, and usually thrown out after a couple of years. Just for giggles, I read some of the reviews and one guy said this was simply rubber cement - nothing special and vulcanizing cement is stronger and better.

JSo I looked around and found:

My auto mechanic has a little can (maybe pint or so) of black goop he uses that is probably a vulcanizing type (haven't been there recently and don't remember what the can says). I'm not about to buy a can of the stuff to carry on my bike.

The cement will be used w/ gummy worms should I get a flat.

What do you use?

Note to self - Check the worms on my bike - they dry out too.

All the times I've used a plug, I never used cement.

(The days when I had tube type tire and patched them, is way too long ago to remember :) )

I recently purchased a "mushroom" plug repair kit on Amazon. Tried it on a car tire...easy. Plugs come pre-lubed with all the tools necessary including instructions. Hope now that I carry it, I'll never use it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I buy 3 cheap bicycle tire repair kits each year. The kind with just a little tube of glue, a metal sort of cheese grater to rough up a rubber bicycle tube, and a few round patches. I throw everything away but the cement which I put in the repair kit I have stashed in each my 3 road going bikes. One time I found the several year old unopened tube was dried up so it’s become an annual replacement item. I also check the number and condition of gummy worms. The cement acts as a lubricant to aid inserting the plug as well sealing it.

Last edited:

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I use the Slime rubber cement. The tube is larger than the tiny bicycle patch kits. I check each year before spring start up by squeezing the unopened tube to make sure it still has some life in it. I was fooled once by the empty, yet unopened small tubes. The gummy/rope kit I have now doesn’t require rubber cement as it slows the vulcanizing process. But I carry it anyway for the regular worms.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The cement acts as a lubricant to aid inserting the plug as well sealing it.
That was also my understanding...
If one should then still add a squirt of SLIME goo through the valve stem as additional sealant is open for debate...

Top Bottom