What next? Coolant leak!!

I did the fork seals and then replaced the SMC with a ton of help from you guys and a lot of NSAIDs for a bum knee. I enjoyed a few good rides in this mild winter and when I went to get the bike out yesterday saw coolant on the floor. It looks like it’s definitely coming from the round weep hole but I’ll pull the plastics next week when I get back from TX. I’ve read through a lot of the leak articles and it looks like a water pump and more NSAIDs are in my future!. I was going to sell her because my knee prevents me from doing a lot of stuff but I’m glad I didn’t.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's a PIA! Sorry to hear that.

I've replaced several waterpumps, and depending how many miles are on your ST1300, you might want to take a look at your clutch, since it will be right there!

DSC03719-s.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Hope you get her sorted out without too many NSAIDS. Articles on water pumps in the Articles section if I remeber correctly. Yep, just checked for you and it's on page 4 of ST1300 Articles by bifrl. May be helpful for you.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ceramic water pump seals can and do drip out some coolant out the weep hole during temperature changes. It's my belief that many needless water pump change have been made due a few teaspoons of coolant on the floor. Did the coolant level drop any during the mild winter rides?

OP
OP
Ceramic water pump seals can and do drip out some coolant out the weep hole during temperature changes. It's my belief that many needless water pump change have been made due a few teaspoons of coolant on the floor. Did the coolant level drop any during the mild winter rides?
No the fluid level didn’t drop. I have run it a few times in the garage since the initial leak and it hasn’t happened again. Thanks

OP
OP
That's a PIA! Sorry to hear that.

I've replaced several waterpumps, and depending how many miles are on your ST1300, you might want to take a look at your clutch, since it will be right there!

DSC03719-s.jpg
She has 29k on her. I have changed the water pump on. PC800 and if it’s any more difficult than that I may have to put her up for sale or parts,

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
She has 29k on her. I have changed the water pump on. PC800 and if it’s any more difficult than that I may have to put her up for sale or parts,
With only 29K, your clutch should be fine.

It's not difficult, and I have replaced one in a day before.

Top Bottom