What spring

Hey Folks:

I am in the process of replacing the rear brake pads on my 06. I have been following the procedure as outlined in the shop manual but at the end of the article the manual on page 17-18 it says: Make sure the new brake pad spring is in place. I don't recall removing any sort of spring during dis-assembly. What are they referring to?
Also, any suggestions on how to retract the pistons without removing the calipers from the bike? Besides this small project.......all is well.

Bob

On the roof of every caliper there is a clip/spring. It needs to be in place and not damaged from previous poor brake pad installs.
C37A46F4-11F8-40A6-A1F5-1BAFBC58732E.jpeg

When the pad is correctly installed and you apply upward pressure on it you can feel the spring action on the pads.

Good luck!

To retract the pistons, find a thin, stiff piece of wood or steel to cover the tops of all the pistons, then press them back in after you've cleaned them (thanks, @Mellow !).
There's an inexpensive tool purposely made for this, available at auto parts stores, some with a knob screw, and some use a ratchet, if you don't want to lever the homemade backing plate with a screwdriver.

Last edited:
The photo shows it installed the correct way round - wide strip nearest the pistons. It will fit the other way round, but it will give you a lot of problems if you get it wrong.
Note the little tags sticking up (down) at each end of the narrow strip. The bumbps on the backing plate of the inside pad must fit to the right of these (as viewed in this photo).

To retract the pistons, find a thin, stiff piece of wood or steel to cover the tops of all the pistons, then press them back in after you've cleaned them (thanks, @Mellow !).
There's an inexpensive tool purposely made for this, available at auto parts stores, some with a knob screw, and some use a ratchet, if you don't want to lever the homemade backing plate with a screwdriver.
Said inexpensive tool is called a C-clamp, though I've wrapped tape around channellocks' jaws* (aka pump pliers) and used those (after removing the caliper from the disk). Prying against the disk is NOT a good idea.

*Wrap each jaw separately to prevent marring the aluminum caliper.

Back
Top Bottom