What's black like oil dripping from the overflow tube?

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I just came back from a 2 day 400 mile business trip (rode past the Madison Brewery in Bennington, VT :)) and parked in the garage as usual. As I was unloading everything I noticed what appeared like an oil drip on the floor right under the overflow hose. I wiped up the drip and the hose and it all came off black. I left a paer towel under it but no more seemed to have come out. Can someone please enlighten me as to what the fluid might be and where it came from. This weekend I'll be pulling the Tupperware to tighten up the radiator clamps amongst other things anyway, so I'll be digging into this black leak too. I need to get things tip-top to head back out to Bennington next week! Thanks!

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Which overflow tube?

Is it one of the cluster under the bike by the centerstand or are you talking more on the front right side of the engine where the drain for the V of the engine and the tube for the water pump is. That tube can have oil come out of it which comes from the water pump seal. If that is the source I would monitor oil levels and such. It may be a sign that the WP may need replacing at some point but there are a lot of people with a lot of miles that have a drip of oil or two from here.

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Sorry, it is the front tube and I only have 17,000 easy-ish (i.e not hard) miles on this machine. This is the first time it has every dripped. Over the winter I did have a few drips of antifreeze from the cowl, so you may be onto something. I'll rip into things this weekend. I really wouldn't expect failures like that at only 17,000 miles but anything can happen. It's still under warranty and if that's the case I'll take it to the dealer to fix.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
It wouldn't hurt to take it in and have it noted. Not sure what the threashold is for them to replace the WP and related seals but you are right, mileage is pretty low for this. I would keep an eye on the oil levels and I wouldn't panic about it or worry about taking it to the dealer on a trailer by any means.

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
You kidding? I've been riding it like I stole it :) If it ain't belchin' smoke I'm good to go, but I have the common sense to stop when things just don't look or act right. The dealer is only 20 minutes from here too. Thanks!

I wouldn't panic about it or worry about taking it to the dealer on a trailer by any means.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
It sounds like your describing the weep hole tube if its a later model ST, and the road grim gathers there, mixes with coolant, and looks like oil. Clean the area, wipe off all the hoses, and ride it around a little to see if its coolant.
As far as tighting the hose clamps, you can do that yourself and save ALOT of money, and make sure it was really done, and done correctly.
Its not that hard. There are lots of folks on the forum that can probably help you and offer advice, as well as articals.

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Well, I have the Tupperware off and have examined all clamps, hoses, brakes, etc. and can find nothing out of the ordinary. The coolant that I found leaking over the winter came from the bleed hose and only amounted to about a teaspoon, which I understand is typically normal. On my first ride of the season I had a faint antifreeze smell when idling at lights but that seems to have gone away. I have Rotella T6 but no oil filter, so I ran up to Auto Zone. They had Rotella T6 for $27.99 plus a $5.00 rebate so I bought 2 more (gotta love tax-free NH!) and 3 Mobil-1 M1-110 filters. I installed a Hi-Flo air filter which fit perfect. The brakes need to be bled but it's too late in the day to start that. I'll change the oil and leave the Tupperware off and try to do the brake bleed tomorrow afternoon (1st time to try that).

I have the same problem on my bike....the black fluid dripping looks like oil but smells like gasoline...

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
It sounds like you guys are seeing something from the air box or engine breather tubes. If that is all it is and you only get a drop a few times a year I would not worry about it.

Top Bottom