What's in my cans ?

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
During some recent on going maintenance I had both exhausts off the bike. When I tilted them all around taking a good look at them I heard (stuff) rolling around inside nothing would come out. I realize she's and older supermodel '91 w/ 136,000+ on the clock but could this cause any restriction or general issues with her. I presuming it to be baffling or ?
Any thoughts/opinions are welcome

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The innards do deteriorate over time, and it could be bits of rust as other Mark suggested or chunks of carbon that have built up and fallen off. Whatever's in there will be difficult to get out, because mufflers are a maze on the inside.

I was going to guess that your muffler bearings need replacement, but that's probably not any help. :D

--Mark

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I was thinking you might have some *friend* who actually put marbles in them!
DOH!

If caused by rust scales you might be able to dissolve them with a weak acid (ever see a rusty nail in a can of cola (Coca Cola))?

If caused by something larger cutting them open and then re-welding them?

Both would be expensive choices IMHO.

What damage would be done by ignoring the noise? ;)

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I was thinking you might have some *friend* who actually put marbles in them!
DOH!

If caused by rust scales you might be able to dissolve them with a weak acid (ever see a rusty nail in a can of cola (Coca Cola))?

If caused by something larger cutting them open and then re-welding them?

Both would be expensive choices IMHO.

What damage would be done by ignoring the noise? ;)
You got me with the marbles :p: I only noticed the sound when I tilted them up and down while they we're off. All is good back on the bike.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...could this cause any restriction or general issues with her.
Quite the opposite...
When the baffling rotted out the cans of my '92 ST1100, the exhaust noise grew noticeable... drove me nuts, installed new ones to get the genuine low sound back...

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Quite the opposite...
When the baffling rotted out the cans of my '92 ST1100, the exhaust noise grew noticeable... drove me nuts, installed new ones to get the genuine low sound back...
no doubt the exhaust noise is louder than the videos I've watched (all I have to compare it to) actually sounds a little throaty. Not nearly what my pro circuit pipe sounds like on the ole KLR650 i've got but still I think it should purr not rumble a bit.

Top Bottom