When to service forks and shock on ST1300?

RCS

At what mileage should I service my forks and shock? I'm thinking about 60,000 miles or if they explode whichever comes first.

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
When I was getting a new rear shock the recommendation from Penske was every 20,000 miles. Really not that hard to at least change out the fluid every other riding season. Shocks seems like one of those things that a lot of people don't attend to with regular maintenance, but should since it is so important to bike handling and safety.

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
You should service the fork sooner or you will face worn bushings and blown seals from abuse. Some change the oil each year or so, your suspension oil wears out slowly and you would not believe the difference of just changing the oil. I waited till I blew a seal at 38,000 and went with the Race Tech upgrade and heavy springs for my weight and the results my bike went from unsure handling on tar snakes and rough patchs to a very precise canyon carver. If I would of paid attention I should of change my Fork Oil sooner. Hope this helps, Good luck
Gary

Bike
05'ST1300
STOC #
I did the fork upgrades at 30k I can tell you the oil looked like nasty black gear oil.
One of the folks I talked to at RT said every 10k the oil should be changed.
Next winter I will do another service and see where I am at.At that time I will change the bushings.

Sean

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I suggest changing fork oil every 15 or 20,000 miles. The oil at even this interval comes out nasty looking. ST1300 Showa rear shock is a well built shock and lasts much longer than most folks ride their bike. I posted a video about how one can check it for damping action.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dduelin#p/a/u/0/CAhksxRCIik

If the shock is checked routinely like this you will see changes in action or damping that require attention. I think I replaced my original shock at 64,000 miles and it was still working well but I just wanted an upgrade.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Interesting.

On the forks, I reviewed the Service Manual. Do I have to take the forks off the bike in order to change the fork oil or is there a drain bolt for that procedure?

ddueling - nice video on the rebound damping. I used to race motorcycles and rebound damping, compression damping, and spring weight were very critical adjustments.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Interesting.

On the forks, I reviewed the Service Manual. Do I have to take the forks off the bike in order to change the fork oil or is there a drain bolt for that procedure?

ddueling - nice video on the rebound damping. I used to race motorcycles and rebound damping, compression damping, and spring weight were very critical adjustments.
You must take the forks off.

I changed the oil on mine a couple weeks ago, it really doesn't take long. The longest part of the job is draining the oil out of the forks.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
What type of service do you expect to perform on a sealed rear shock? Perhaps you mean the oil in the preload?

Raymond

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
+1

The first time you do the procedure it might be a LOT easier and safer to use an impact wrench to loosen the fork caps before the forks are removed from the bike. Use a torque wrench for reinstall. Honda has a guerilla installing the caps...
Just to be sure it is said, LOSSEN THE TOP TRIPLE TREE BOLTS before you try to remove the caps!! Leave the bottoms tight to hold the tube.

I personally wouldn't use an impact on the aluminum nuts.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Just to be sure it is said, LOSSEN THE TOP TRIPLE TREE BOLTS before you try to remove the caps!! Leave the bottoms tight to hold the tube.

I personally wouldn't use an impact on the aluminum nuts.
I agree - very important to loosen the upper clamp before trying to loosen the cap. I personally didn't have any problems getting the caps loose, and removed from the tubes.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

What type of service do you expect to perform on a sealed rear shock? Perhaps you mean the oil in the preload?

Raymond
Good question, does anyone have an answer. Mine is the original Showa. I have just emptied the reservoir of a small amount of who knows what and refilled with some ATF. Works a treat now.
So is there something else to service? The manual says the actual shock is Nitrogen filled and is "non serviceable".

Great site!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
There are suspension shops that rebuild or upgrade the OEM Showa "non serviceable" rear shock.

Top Bottom